Savage Single Speed Mod.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grumpy1822

Savage Owner
Well you guys know the issues were having with modded engines and exploding trannys so following the lead from Savagesam, I mocked up this version. This was done using the HD 2spd as a starting point.

First I used an old 3spd gear that came with the original 3 spd, not the HS 3spd. I ground two teeth off on opposite sides and used this in place of the shift drum. The gear is held in place with a pin in the hole instead of the screw.

mycamerapics003.jpg

mycamerapics006.jpg

mycamerapics010.jpg

Then I made a spacer out of an LST shaft, but you can just use the oneway without 1st gear.

mycamerapics009.jpg

Two other things while building trannys that I thought I should mention, on the bottom shaft, use 2 bearings on both sides. The small one in first then the bigger wheel size bearing. I also put a little grease on the drive gear (bottom gear) since it is metal to metal contact. I don't use a oneway so no slipping worries.

mycamerapics011.jpg

mycamerapics012.jpg

Also, shim the top shaft using diff shims to prevent slack. I used two.
mycamerapics013.jpg

Done. I figured all titainium shafts wouldnt hurt either.

IM000359.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reliability, the modded engines from Extreme are tearing through the 2 and 3 speeds. Less moving parts less that can go wrong.

hmmmmm...grump...not having any trouble at all with my 3 speed....it's perfect. i guess i'm not driving hard enough. LMAO!! but.......

let us know how this does. i would like to try this setup in a puller if it works well. nice grump and +1 on this one!

it hits the inner and outer race on the locking gear. it will spin in the case if your not careful. Just look at it a bit more it may be ok with the plastic 2nd gear. I did it with the alloys then made it 3rd gear for more top. may be a lil different on the shaft then your set up.

It spun freely, but I guess it could shift that way. I'll put a diff shim between the bearing. and locking gear

sweet like I said I don't know the spacing in yours. Mine in the case would bind. It is a lil different but based of your drive gear trick.

Latest posts

Members online

Back