savage problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doginjeep

K4.6 motor is sputtering at high end revs and dying. not so much sputtering in this vid

I say Ritchen high end needle a little and keep a eye on temps and then might need to fine tune low end needle after u get top end from dying

Ok so here I go again. This time I have my 18t RobinsonRacing CB after tearing up my other one. MC-59 plug and 20% Traxxas nitro fuel. What you don't see in this video is the 5mins it took to start. Before I started having this problem, it would fire up immediately. I checked my glow plug. It's fine.
All the needles are set to factory. The first time I go to the carb is to raise the idle speed a bit. The second and third time I richen the hsn 1/4 turn each time. The temps stay really low and you can see when I give it full throttle, it bogs down. The fourth time is when I turn it back to 1/4 turn lean from stock settings which would make 2.25 turns out. At wot it dies instantly. It
begins to form a pretty decent size puddle and burns through almost a 1/4 tank of fuel. I figured this would be a good indicator that it's rich along with the smoke that it's putting out. Ideas?

first thing is the fuel. TRX fuel aint the best for big block engines I have found, try some Sidewinder or Byrons or O Donnell fuel.... second is the air filter, check it and clean and reoil it... third I would pull the needles out of the carb, check the o rings and check for crap inside them..... you are running a fuel filter also right ? if not get one ..... very cheep insurance against crap gettin into the carb......

I was worried somebody would shoot down the fuel. Is it because the oil content is so high?(16%) I was trying to find the VP Basher fuel, but it isn't sold in Canada. I was getting in the mood to clean the carb anyhow. Alcohol good enough for that or will that wreck the o-rings?

ya Denatured alcohol is what I use to clean engines with... and it aint so much the higher oil content , I run all mine on 16% oil and no problems.... just use that old TRX fuel to clean parts with and never run it again ....

I do find that the big blocks I've run like less oil though. I run 12% in mine.

I didn't watch the video, but not heating up does mean it's running really rich. It might also account for the killing. Make sure your idle is set just higher than where it wants to kill (and before the truck starts rolling on its own).

I watched the vid today and I kinda have to agree with X here. raise the idle up to the point it is almost rolling and never ever touch the needle settings until it is up to operating temp then tune the engine..... goin back to "factory settings" on a broken in engine it will be always too rich.... reset the idle and try it again and remember never tune a cold or barely warm engine, ALWAYS TUNE WHEN AT OP TEMP.... Good luck bud and happy tuning....

Also trying to tune the motor without actually driving it doesn't work to well. You always want to tune the motor while driving it.

Thank you to all the members for helping me with this.i cleaned the carb, then I drove it around for a minute, getting it hot at factory settings. Then I made a few higher speed passes, some at part throttle and some at wot. It still struggled at wot. The revs were hanging a little after releasing throttle, which indicates a lean setting. WTF?! Factory settings are supposed to be rich. So I richened the hsn according to what I was hearing. Guess what? It stopped bogging and hesitating AS MUCH. The temps were getting close to 240deg and I'm not comfortable with that. I richened it another 1/8 turn and performance improved. The temps stayed high. I continued to richen the hsn until the performance gain stopped and the temps sat consistent at 220deg. It was still blowing a lot of smoke, so I went to the LSN. I only leaned it 1/4 turn before I stopped noticing performance gains, and the temps started going back up so I richnened it about a 1/8 turn. The temps stayed around 225deg for the next 2-3mins of heavy throttle so I left alone. Seems really good now.
Thanks guys!
Now my concern: my HSN is 3.5 turns out from bottom. Which is 1 turn richer than factory. Should I worry or just drive it the way it is?

Last edited:
if it is running well then leave it alone I say.... engines all differ and so do needle settings, "factory" settings are only a baseline to get it running......

i guess the fuel quality also plays a major role in the tuning process.Thanks again for your assistance.

Every engine is different. Tune for performance, smoke, and to a lesser extent temperature. If it's running good don't worry to much about what your settings are.

Did you ever seal your engine/needles? If not then tuning will come easier if you do.

i sealed my Axial .28spec1S but not my K4.6...yet.just curious, is there a quick and easy way to fix a slipping one-way bearing?

You can take it out and get the oil off it. Can also sand the shaft a bit to roughen it up.

Also heard you can spray WD-40 in there to take care of it.

Latest posts

Members online

Back