Savage problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alonso

Hi everyone I posted a few weeks ago asking about a quad shell and rider for a savage, I'm happy to say I got two, one unused (rare) , and one used I bought them both, the used one came with a savage 21, now there lies a problem, I'm hoping you guys could point me in the right direction, the savage will push forward but I can't push it backwards all four wheels lock , I have put all wheels up and turned one and the other one turns forwards and backwards and so on, I have also turned the spur gear by hand that turns ok , would really appreciate your thoughts and ideas what I should be looking at be gentle I'm just getting into these buggy's and getting on in a few years lol thanks in advance

Have turned the engine over and the wheels do not move , also what I have done is turned the brake disc with my fingers and it moves fine in one direction wheels turning, but then when I try turning the other way it just doesn't move solid and the brakes are free would that mean the front or rear diff/gearbox be faulty

Does your truck have the reverse module? I can't imagine what would be causing your issue... and I never had the reverse module.

What does it do if you take the engine out. Only takes 5 minutes to get it out, then roll the truck forward/back to see what happens.

Does your truck have the reverse module? I can't imagine what would be causing your issue... and I never had the reverse module.

What does it do if you take the engine out. Only takes 5 minutes to get it out, then roll the truck forward/back to see what happens.

I agree it may be the transmission, I would tear it apart and see whats going on in there. Highly unlinkely the diffs would cause this

No it doesn't have the reverse module I will take the engine out next

I agree it may be the transmission, I would tear it apart and see whats going on in there. Highly unlinkely the diffs would cause this
I will start with the engine out then like you say may be the transmission time for strip down

Hi guys think I have found the problem the rear diff is completely warn out, the front one doesn't sound to good, to be honest I have never seen a rc buggy or car treated so bad , it was used when I bought it , I have stripped it down and will be giving it a complete rebuild, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction, should I use oil or grease in the diffs and what consistency should I use, also what should I use in the gearbox oil or grease again what consistency, thanks for your advice

I run probably heavier than I should, but I like how the truck reacts. 50K silicone oil in the front/rear diff cups and lucas red-n-tacky grease on the ring/pinion. I think a lot of guys use a marine grease as well vs regular axle grease or bearing grease. Tends to adhere to the gears better vs getting a path cut through it, then doing nothing.

I run probably heavier than I should, but I like how the truck reacts. 50K silicone oil in the front/rear diff cups and lucas red-n-tacky grease on the ring/pinion. I think a lot of guys use a marine grease as well vs regular axle grease or bearing grease. Tends to adhere to the gears better vs getting a path cut through it, then doing nothing.
What should I use in the gear box

I used a very little bit of the same red-n-tacky grease on the steel to steel gears inside the transmission. You don't want to go crazy with it as it could get into the 2-speed mechanism or one way bearing and gum things up.

I used a very little bit of the same red-n-tacky grease on the steel to steel gears inside the transmission. You don't want to go crazy with it as it could get into the 2-speed mechanism or one way bearing and gum things up.
Ok thank you for the info

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back