savage help!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savviboy29

hi guys. ok I'm really getting mad at my savage 4.6 now. what it is is that i cant seem to get the mesh right between the engine and spur. well i can mesh it ok but the problem is clearence. the face of the clutch bell rubs agains the spur gear if I'm using stock spur gears, so i got a thinner steel spur and it just chews my cluth bells because there is so little contact between the two. heres some pics to show you.........

Any help would be great as i havnt had a decent run in way too long!

http://s1111.photobucket.com/albums/h467/skyman1983/savage%20gearing%20problem/
:beforeme:

cheers guys

Last edited by a moderator:
you need to use the vented hpi racing clutch bell to run the steel spur. once you install one you shouldnt have an issue.

What Mickey said above is true. Also, Mickey, did you look at the pics? Judging from the pics, to me, it looks like the motor is too far forward.

Savviboy, how much of a gap/space to have between the trans case and the screw holding the CB on? It's kinda hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like it right up against the case. There should be some space between the 2. Also, have you changed anything lately? Motor, motor mount, motor plate, flywheel, clutch shoes, CB, or anything relating to the motor.

i have got the fastrax extend lower cg chassis on it. i got it to try and resolve the issue, andto improve handling. Its just the same as it was before. and yeah it does look like the mill is too far forward.. How about if i drill the holes in the engine plate to try and give me a few mm? should be ok if i use screws with a wider head than normal. what do u guys reckon???

no the motor looks right that clutch bell is way deep tho. do you have to use any spacers on the end of the crank to hold the clutch bell back? if not that bell is totally wrong for the savage. they use a thinner bell then most 8th scales. also is the flywheel a savage flywheel or is it off another 8th scale rig?

mickey i think u may have hit the preverbial nail on the head with that one! its not the stock savage clutch system it's just ur universal 1/8. the original flywheel lost one of its pins, i think i managed to fix it but never re used it! ill give it a do and see what happens. thanks!

cheers redneck, but i think i need a full clutch set for the savage. if anyone has one, I could swap for a spectrum dx6 reciever... i think its the ar330, off the top of my head.

cheers redneck, but i think i need a full clutch set for the savage. if anyone has one, I could swap for a spectrum dx6 reciever... i think its the ar330, off the top of my head.

I know I've got a flywheel. Let me check and see if I've got the shoes, springs, and flywheel nut. Where do you live? I'll let you know either later tonight or tom.

how bout this for the reviever i will sell u a k4.63 out of my savvy for 50 its ready to drop in runs good

I know I've got a flywheel. Let me check and see if I've got the shoes, springs, and flywheel nut. Where do you live? I'll let you know either later tonight or tom.

awesome! have you got the cb too? i live near wakefield, west yorks u,k, maybe a bit far lol

Last edited by a moderator:
how bout this for the reviever i will sell u a k4.63 out of my savvy for 50 its ready to drop in runs good

is that 50 as well as? thing is i really need this clutch sorting out and am more than happy with my sh .28 and k5.9. cheers anyway

i know everyone has integy on the black list but if you are looking for a complete set up cheap you cant beat this. http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=8337&p_catid=59#.TzXIQU4genk

you will need to get the proper clutch bell for it after ward.

edit: yes i have used this set up and it works well. slips a bit but lasts forever. i got almost 3 gallons out of this set up

its has clutch and everything all u need is the linkage and the motor mount bolts i am now electric :)

its has clutch and everything all u need is the linkage and the motor mount bolts i am now electric :)

thats really tempting redneck, but don't have any money! Lost my job a couple of months ago, and am now stuck in a factory on rubbish money, bareley keeping me head out of the water! havnt got a single spare penny at the moment. :(

i had this problem with my 4.6 what i found was the flywheel was sitting to much toward the spur and all i did was tryed othere flywheel hold witch sit behind the flywheel but did not do a lot so i drilled the flywheel when i say drilled i did it bit by bit starting from the big end only drilling in about a mill the when down to next size and so on till i was all the way though then used a dreamal to finish her off and she now sit A1 ok also i noticed that your spur slipper is lock out remove that spacer you have on the spur were spring is and adjust it then do some runs and till it stops slipping then leave it that will help your gears

also i will add how much is the clutch bell on the shaft as i have a 2mm spacer on the out side of the clutch bell were the holding screw hold the bell on

also i have notice your running the sh .28 is witch is what i have got but just got myself the sts .30 from ebay

Latest posts

Members online

Back