Savage flux Hp xl conversion, what pinion and spur now?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gino753

Hi guys, i have converted my hpi savage flux hp to the XL specs, by installing the chassis kit.Before i did the conversion, the truck would wheelie, on demand, just by squeezing the throttle.After installing the xl chassis kit,as well as aluminum front and rear knuckles, the truck does not seem to do that anymore.Now that can be a good thing too, as the truck is more stable, but I'm afraid that maby the extra weight, needs a lower gear ratio?

I think the savage flux xl, came with a different spur and pinion, than the HP? What should i use? I have allready searched and cant find the answer

Hi. The XL does not wheely so easily. The tranny has been moved towards the front (the XL back dogbone is much longer than the HP's) so the weight distribution is different.
I was using 15T pinion with 43T spur on 6S and managed to do wheelies on good grip surfaces.

Hi. The XL does not wheely so easily. The tranny has been moved towards the front (the XL back dogbone is much longer than the HP's) so the weight distribution is different.
I was using 15T pinion with 43T spur on 6S and managed to do wheelies on good grip surfaces.

Awsome thank you for the reply.I actually did add the XL kit to my HP, to of course increase its size,as well as like you said ,balance everything out better? As this truck is wayyyy to powerfull on 6s as a stock HP chassis.So i guess i acomplished that?

It was just that when i noticed that it did not seem to want to lift up onto its back wheels anymore after installing the kit, that i thought, maby i need to chamge the pinion and spur, since i added more weight and changed the geometry.Right now its converted to an XL, with Integy aluminum front and rear knuckles,and the stock HP 20t pinion and 44t spur,on 6s..am i ok like this or what would you recommend?

I also am running the stock electronics, but bought a Castle Mamba monster xtreme ESC, rates at 120A...is that ok or should i have gone larger

Stock pinion is 16T for the flux XL although it has a different tranny than the HP. Your motor and esc will be happier with 16T (or less) on 6S.
I think the stock esc is rated for 150A so you don't need to change that.
This topic is not new in this forum. Have a little search done and you will find a lot of usefull info.

I bought a new Hpi 16t pinion but the motor wont move in far enough to set the mesh tight enough?

Hi,
I checked the HP manual.
The lowest pinion that can be used with the 44T stock spur is 18T. For using 16T you will have to use 47T spur. This is because of the brackets limited movement.

I am sorry I didn´t realize before.
I am using 15T pinion with 43T spur (twin slipper clutch) in my larger size Savage but do not have the twin bracket type motor mount:

Inverting the brackets will allow the motor to get closer to the spur but the outside brackets ends will get into the battery box (so you would have to extend the battery mounts by using longer screws...). That´s much more work than fitting a 47T spur.

Latest posts

Members online

Back