Savage Essential Spares

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EZ Tutty

I've recently got a Lightly Used Savage X 4.6, and after already having a couple of issues I'm just wondering if anyone can suggest some cheap essential spares to keep around for common issues? or parts that are easy to loose whilst taking bits apart.

I know ideally I'd keep a full selection of screws, clips, bearings ect ect, but I'm just using the savage for bashing, and I don't plan on spending a fortune on spares just on the off chance like I would if I was racing, if it has to wait whilst parts are on order so be it.

So far I've had the slipper/spur nut come loose and burn the slipper out, and after just fixing that one of the "Grub Screw Shaft" (part 86094) on the rear drive shaft/gearbox coupling fall out. I've now been though the whole thing thread locking anything that appears to be screwed into metal as it seems the previous owner didn't use any.

Thanks
Paul

Good idea to go through the entire truck and locktite anything that goes into metal, it was most likely not your previous owner as HPI sends the trucks out without locktite applied from the factory....

as for spares an assortment of nuts screws and other hardware is always a good idea also, I keep a couple of slipper pads handy just in case, as your next upgrade consider the RRP Steel Spur and bell combo, I have the 48/16 and for my basket case X it works well.....
Parts are starting to come around I noticed A Main has alot in stock and so does RC Planet among others...

http://www.robinsonracing.com/catalog/savage21-25.html

https://www.amainhobbies.com/search?s=+HPI+Savage

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately we don't seem to be as well catered for in UK as you guys in the US :(

I don't think anywhere over here sells the Robinson Racing parts, which as a shame as they look top notch!

Keep an eye on the diff bearings. The ones on the cup side of the diff are 10x16 and tend to fail on a regular basis. The bearing on the other side is 8x16 and it holds up longer.

Aside from that, a spare set of arms, some shock ends, shock caps and maybe lower hinge pin braces should keep you running.

As for serviceable parts some things to consider:
  • Hinge pins/flange shafts
  • Rod ends
  • Fuel tank/tubing
  • Joint posts
  • Spur gears
  • Bearings (I suggest checking/replacing all bearings at once as if one is bad the truck is not smooth. The only truly smooth truck is one where all bearings are good). Clutch bearings would be the top ones to keep an eye on.
  • Cup joints (forget the "HD" ones...I've had better luck with stock)
  • Dog bones/drive shafts
  • O-rings for diffs/shocks
  • Shims/washers
  • Gaskets (for diffs/pipe)
  • Glow plugs

As for screws, I got a set of Tony's (hex) for it.

Finally, if you find yourself going through some of these parts, often, there are investments you can make/actions you can take to alleviate the problem area. As an example, capture the upper hinge-pins. Place pipe thread around the end of your drive=shafts, dog bones to eliminate the slop, etc.

My best advice is just drive the truck as hard a you want. As things break, analyze why it broke. Often a completely different area of the truck caused the issue so as an example stripping spur gears. Often folks will just get a steel one...but not consider why the plastic stripped/melted, simply placing a band-aid over a problem area. Best of luck to you

Also, as you gain more experience, there are a variety of setup options to consider:
  • Shock oil/springs/pistons/limiters
  • Diff oil
  • Clutch shoes/springs
  • Tires
Each of those will make an incredible difference in the way the truck handles based on the condition in which you are running the truck

Latest posts

Members online

Back