savage engine bearing???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dociledragons

I have the Savage SS 4.6 Engine (stock). Surprisingly the Exploded view doesn't tell me what size the bearing is. It is the front bearing that's inside the engine next to the flywheel. Locally hobby shops want 18.00 but online it looks to be only 6.00 shipped.. (assuming I have the correct one). My Question is what size bearing is this? or maybe part number?

Also, the following pic shows the rust inside the engine. Is this something to be concerned about.? Is there a way to get rid of it? does this decrease performance? Is this going to shorten my Engine life?

Thanks sooo much....
Ethan

SAM_1358.jpg

SAM_1355.jpg

SAM_1352.jpg

do you have a dremil tool?. if you do put a piece of fuel line on the part where the connecting rod goes and polish the rest of the wieghted part. and the hole in the middle of the crank. give me a few mins and ill see if i can find the bearing size.

wd40 and a sos pad will fix that right up.. and it wont do anything to the performance or shorten the life.. its just thin discoloration. clean it up and your good to go... as for the bearing .mickey will get you straight.. dnt want to step on his toes hes looking it up for ya already .lol

This will work! Same exact bearing!
ceff0aa1-e90d-5631.jpg

Just 1 quick question and some advice. Question is, what is the reason for replacin the bearing? Is it leakin or just feel like replacin it? If it's leakin, the outer bearing isn't what's causin it to leak. The inner bearing is the one that actually seals the front and causin the leak. But if your replacin them due to age, replace them both at the same time. Also, if it was a newer motor, I'd suggest gettin some Boca bearings for it. Yeah, they're a bit pricey, but worth every penny.

Ive read numerous times that picco bearings work as well! But boca would be the better choice for me cause the axial front bearings, as most axial owners know, spring leaks quite easily. I still like axial mills though!!!

Ive read numerous times that picco bearings work as well! But boca would be the better choice for me cause the axial front bearings, as most axial owners know, spring leaks quite easily. I still like axial mills though!!!

That's why I suggested the Boca bearings. I had to replace the ones in my axial and I didn't even have 2 gals thru the motor yet.

Just 1 quick question and some advice. Question is, what is the reason for replacin the bearing? Is it leakin or just feel like replacin it? If it's leakin, the outer bearing isn't what's causin it to leak. The inner bearing is the one that actually seals the front and causin the leak. But if your replacin them due to age, replace them both at the same time. Also, if it was a newer motor, I'd suggest gettin some Boca bearings for it. Yeah, they're a bit pricey, but worth every penny.

Ok, first thanks for all the replies.

Xtrem I'm a bit confused now. I am replacing it bc there is an air leak. below is a pic of the bearing in question. Keep in mind I have yet to remove it from the Engine.

So, Are you saying this isn't going to be the leaking bearing? If not which bearing would be the one? From what I understand I should replace two bearing while I'm at it.?? which two are those. Does anybody have a link to the bearings so I can just click and purchase. To make sure I order the right ones.

Savage-4-1.jpg

wd40 and a sos pad will fix that right up.. and it wont do anything to the performance or shorten the life.. its just thin discoloration. clean it up and your good to go... as for the bearing .mickey will get you straight.. dnt want to step on his toes hes looking it up for ya already .lol

And thanks for answering the additional Questions. This forum is great

This will work! Same exact bearing!
ceff0aa1-e90d-5631.jpg

Thanks but, It's to small. I can't read the size or anything for that matter.

Judging from what I've read the picco brand is that one to get. Anybody have the spcs or link. pleeease.

No edit button.. there needs to be an edit button

one more thing I just read. The bearing normal leaks a little. Is this true?. I had oil next and near the front bearing. With it being years old I assume it needs to be replaced anyway.

Hi everyone i cant seem to find the right forum about upgrading to a new exhaust pipe, i have ordered the savage XL its still on its way i was wondering what pipe would be the best to replace the stock one with, and also should i stick to a cold glow plug or medium ?, would i have to mod anything if i replace the pipe ? Let me know what you think! Thanks

B.o.s.s

Hi everyone i cant seem to find the right forum about upgrading to a new exhaust pipe, i have ordered the savage XL its still on its way i was wondering what pipe would be the best to replace the stock one with, and also should i stick to a cold glow plug or medium ?, would i have to mod anything if i replace the pipe ? Let me know what you think! Thanks

B.o.s.s

really man.. you're suppose to post your own thread. not hijack mine.. lol

My bad bro, it was driving me how to
Start the thread, just made the account few hours
Ago had know idea how use it lol my bad

I will get LJ to add the edit button back. Yes - the thread was highjack but all seems to be good. Be looking for the edit button soon.

Ok, first thanks for all the replies.

Xtrem I'm a bit confused now. I am replacing it bc there is an air leak. below is a pic of the bearing in question. Keep in mind I have yet to remove it from the Engine.

So, Are you saying this isn't going to be the leaking bearing? If not which bearing would be the one? From what I understand I should replace two bearing while I'm at it.?? which two are those. Does anybody have a link to the bearings so I can just click and purchase. To make sure I order the right ones.

Savage-4-1.jpg

Notice in the pic, the bearing on the rear of the motor (where the backplate goes), that's the "inner" front bearing. That's the one that actually seals the front where the bearings are. If you look inside the crankcase after you remove the crankshaft, you'll see the bearing. If I remember correctly, one side has a seal on it and the other doesn't, so you'll be able to see the actual balls inside the race. But, replace both the "inner" and "outer" front bearing. Once you have the bearings and need advice or help on replacin them, let me know.

Ive never heard of replacin the rear bearing to fix a leak from the front bearing lol

Here are the links to the 2 Boca bearing kits. I went with the ceramics for my axial cuz I had it modded and wanted the better of the 2. For you, I'd suggest gettin the cheaper kit cuz you'll be puttin them in a stock motor that's been used. Mine was new.

Boca bearings MX kit $30
http://www.bocabearings.com/productdetail.aspx?ItemID=14373&MODSYSID=8905&ProductSubGroupID=135

Boca bearings MX Ceramics kit $60
http://www.bocabearings.com/productdetail.aspx?ItemID=14420&MODSYSID=8905&ProductSubGroupID=136

Here are the links to the 2 Boca bearing kits. I went with the ceramics for my axial cuz I had it modded and wanted the better of the 2. For you, I'd suggest gettin the cheaper kit cuz you'll be puttin them in a stock motor that's been used. Mine was new.

Boca bearings MX kit $30
http://www.bocabearings.com/productdetail.aspx?ItemID=14373&MODSYSID=8905&ProductSubGroupID=135

Boca bearings MX Ceramics kit $60
http://www.bocabearings.com/productdetail.aspx?ItemID=14420&MODSYSID=8905&ProductSubGroupID=136

Thanks perfect thanks you so much

Members online

No members online now.
Back