savage diffs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well my first run after run in and my front diff is clicking (jumping teeth, didnt know at this point)so i ignored it and just kept bashing few more tanks down. The noise got worse especially under hard braking, now it locks the rears under brakes so just decided to inspect.Pull the front diff out and the 13 tooth bevel is now about a 5 and a half tooth lol which has destroyed the 43 tooth bevel gear round the diff casing, is there a stronger fix to this rather than replacing with stock parts again?

sounds like you gotta shim em.

there are stronger diffs, but they can ultimately suffer the same fate if not properly shimmed or you grenade a bearing.

still run my original stock x diffs, several gallons

shim it? ive got shimmes do i put them between the bearing and diff housing so i don't get any side to side movement?and maby a shim behind the 13 tooth bevel gear and cup joint which the center dog bone goes in?

if needed, you wanna first shim your pinion to the ring. this will make the

maximum available surface area on the teeth for ring & pinion to contact each

other (on ring & pinion) and, imo the most important part of the

shimming.

then you want to shim the ring to the pinion to eliminate as much (but not all)

of the side to side movement. When its right, it will feel as-smooth-as a

single-malt scotch of the top shelf.

https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9865

nice freddy.... yall got him coverd ... but the prob consits alot from not being shimmed as well as heavy slamming on the breaks ,,, if you get trigger control it helps .. if you need... adjust the breaks a tad loser so you can slam on the breaks but it don't lock them up as hard .. ..but shimming and control is key...

(useful information removed)

Last edited by a moderator:
Good advice from all. And I love the scotch analogy frddy. lol

As far as bigger and stronger, the CEN diffs are popular, but HPI just came out with some "bullet-proof" ones. Is the jury in on the new HPI ones yet? Or are they still yet to be released?

Ba swindled a set form hpi and has been testing on 6S Ill get you the thread and Pm it over

The original gear (43/13) is a 3.3307 ratio and the new gearing (29/9) is a 3.222 ratio. Theoretically, your Savage should be faster, but I doubt it would be noticeable.

Members online

No members online now.
Back