Savage diff upgrade.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jabbo

Hi.

1.So what are the options to get my Savage X not to use 10x16x5 size bearing on one side of the differential? (keeps failing)
2. Has anyone yet have some experience with that new "forged" diff ?

Thanks!

I had the original savage 21 (which has been slowly updated to X version) when 12yrs back raced it most weekends through summer & have never had problem with bearings. The only mod I done at Time was replace plastic diff with I think ofna metal type with the spider gears as we called it then, but never used any shims inside & still using same crown diff & pinion!
Was running a Picco .28 engine at Time if that made any difference to forces being applied on diff?

Its not the "racing" that brakes the diff bearing, its the heavy landings.

Yes totally agree & guess that’s why I didn’t break much in that area! ??

Hi. TVPs are easy and available everywhere. Thats not the problem. Problem is the 10x16x5 bearing which in worst case can handle only one bad landing, which means new diff set if you don't notice immedietely.
Back in the days there was ways to get rid of that that weak bearing, i think it was Forza diff mod which is not available anymore. I was wondering maybe there is some new ways around it.

Everything I found regarding the 10x16 bearing to use 8x16 is very old info, half of which was speculation, but most ended up pointing to a hot bodies diff cup that didn't use metal inserts for the x-pins. I know one guy on here took alloy cups and milled them down, not sure how that held up for the long haul. The HB cup used a steel insert for the output so it would be strong enough even though it was relatively thin.

To be honest, if you run machined or even sintered BP gears on a nitro and just keep an eye on the bearing externally by jiggling the axle once in a while, you can usually catch it before it grenades, and even if it does blow the bearing, if you don't keep driving, the BP gears tend to hold up ok. With the older smaller geared pinion/ring, the teeth were so shallow that when the bearing blew out, the pinion would spin once and take the tips off the teeth, then it was downhill from there.

But these are not available anymore :(

CEN RACING DIFF CASES USE THE STRONGER B085 ( 8X16X5 ) BEARING AS OPPOSED TO THE EARLY B032 (10X16X5 ) BEARING .HOPE THIS HELPS.

ALSO USE THE PART NUMBERS TO LOOK UP ON CEN SITE ,
GS001 , GS002.....

CEN Racing Sales <[email protected]>
Mon 4/23/2018 6:11 PM

Hi there,

There are optional cross pin you can add to our diff part number MX213.

For the complete diff build:
GS001, GS002, GS004, GS005, GS060, GS220, G73914
Here are the link:
https://cenracing.shptron.com/c/r-c-parts

CEN Racing Sales Dept.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2018 11:33 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Shopatron Message

Comments from consumers at your Shopatron.com store

I saw this post on HPI Savage Forum , But I cant seem to find any Diff"s or related item for HPI savage on your site ??

"One of the problems that savage owners have to face sometime or other is differential failure.
One of the best things you can do is find a new set of diffs like the ones used by CEN Racing, the entire diff is metal, you will notice is the way the bevel gears are mounted in the housing.
There are NO cross pins to hold the bevel gears."

Last edited:
The old 43/13 sintered ring gear used 10x16 on it? Been so long... I thought only the cup side ever used the 10x16.

Just opened the old manual I made out of images many years ago I jammed in a pdf file... I completely forgot it ran 10x16's on both sides!
2021-0126-Savage21DiffAssembly.jpg

I actually went the cheaper/easier way. I let machine shop to cut my aluminum diff cup to bigger bearing size. 5 euros a piece, let them done 4 for me.
And the newest forged diff set comes with bigger bearing as well so I'm good to go. 8x16x5 Avids basically all around. Also replaced bulkheads with composite ones, and they are ALOT stronger.

Latest posts

Members online

Back