Savage diff upgrade.

Jabbo

Hi.

1.So what are the options to get my Savage X not to use 10x16x5 size bearing on one side of the differential? (keeps failing)
2. Has anyone yet have some experience with that new "forged" diff ?

Thanks!

guinnessdublin

I had the original savage 21 (which has been slowly updated to X version) when 12yrs back raced it most weekends through summer & have never had problem with bearings. The only mod I done at Time was replace plastic diff with I think ofna metal type with the spider gears as we called it then, but never used any shims inside & still using same crown diff & pinion!
Was running a Picco .28 engine at Time if that made any difference to forces being applied on diff?

Jabbo

Its not the "racing" that brakes the diff bearing, its the heavy landings.

guinnessdublin

Yes totally agree & guess that’s why I didn’t break much in that area! 👍🏻

Jabbo

Hi. TVPs are easy and available everywhere. Thats not the problem. Problem is the 10x16x5 bearing which in worst case can handle only one bad landing, which means new diff set if you don't notice immedietely.
Back in the days there was ways to get rid of that that weak bearing, i think it was Forza diff mod which is not available anymore. I was wondering maybe there is some new ways around it.

olds97_lss

Everything I found regarding the 10x16 bearing to use 8x16 is very old info, half of which was speculation, but most ended up pointing to a hot bodies diff cup that didn't use metal inserts for the x-pins. I know one guy on here took alloy cups and milled them down, not sure how that held up for the long haul. The HB cup used a steel insert for the output so it would be strong enough even though it was relatively thin.

To be honest, if you run machined or even sintered BP gears on a nitro and just keep an eye on the bearing externally by jiggling the axle once in a while, you can usually catch it before it grenades, and even if it does blow the bearing, if you don't keep driving, the BP gears tend to hold up ok. With the older smaller geared pinion/ring, the teeth were so shallow that when the bearing blew out, the pinion would spin once and take the tips off the teeth, then it was downhill from there.

Latest posts

Members online