Savage Brushless conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cam68

Hey Guys,
It has been along time since I have been on this fourm, anyway, I am having a problem finding a answer to my question, I have a Savage XL and am wanting to convert it to brushless MMM is there a kit that I can buy to do the conversion, and which MMM do you guys recomend.
Thanks.

First thing you will need is the Flux TVPs. You will need the XL ones. I wouldn't recommend that you buy the HPI units since there is so many better options out there. I recommend the ones from alza-racing.com. While you are there get the motor clamps/mounts. Make sure you know what motor you are going to run. The Flux motor uses 40mm clamps (you can get stock ones cheap on ebay) and the Castle version (internally both motors are the same) uses 42mm clamps. Next thing will be the Battery boxes. Plenty going on ebay for not much at all.

Other than motor and ESC don't forget the batteries and a good charger. Batteries for the Flux are in the 5000mah+ region and you don't want to be stuck with a wimpy little charger trying to charge them. It will take a long time and be very annoying.

Price breakdown:
  • Motor/ESC : MMM 2200kv combo $270 delivered if you are in U.S. (ebay)
  • TVPs and motor clamps: $70-80aprox. + del. Thats from Alza but it all depends which TVPs you want.
  • Battery boxes : $20 (ebay)
  • Batteries and charger : SOOOOO many options here. Your budget will dictate to what you will be able to get. If you can give us a $ amount of how much you can spend maybe I could make some suggestions.
So you can see it will add up to a fair bit but you can also make a few bucks back by selling some of your nitro gear. Also don't forget the lower ongoing costs when running brushless. No clutch shoes to wear out, no glow plugs, no nitro fuel, no cleaning oily mess off your truck, no costly engine rebuilds,.....list goes on.

Brushless motors require virtually no maintenance other than a bearing change once a year or so. Same as the ESC. Treat it right and it should last a few years. Batteries, for about $100 you can get a decent pair of batts and they should give you over 300 cycles. Not bad for $100 considering what you would need to spend on nitro for equivalent run time.

Hey bro, its simple and cheaper then buying, i know cause i just did it. www.kershawdesigns.com Get the dual motor conversion. comes with motor mount, 2 battery trays all hardware and savage flux gear to convert you transmission. i got my motor and esc combo on ebay. castel 2200kv and sidewinder 8th. but if your running xl, you might want to get the castle 1717 motor and mamba monster esc, this is the one they use in the traxxas xo-1 car (100mph) With the xl, its a lil heavier then most so bigger motor might be the way to go. or just don't be trying to do backflips with your truck. it will do it but your esc and motor wont last.

Attachments

• DSC_0790 (1280x853).jpg
    DSC_0790 (1280x853).jpg
    594.6 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC_0791 (1280x853).jpg
    DSC_0791 (1280x853).jpg
    570.5 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC_0792 (1280x853).jpg
    DSC_0792 (1280x853).jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC_0789 (853x1280) (2).jpg
    DSC_0789 (853x1280) (2).jpg
    641.2 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC_0784 (1280x853).jpg
    DSC_0784 (1280x853).jpg
    564.6 KB · Views: 9
And like Big-Block said, you will need good batteries, LIPOs or Li-Fe batteries. 5000mAh batteries are a must. you can get multi-packs on ebay for like $100-150. You can run lower power packs but you wont like the outcome.

What traction are you referring to ? I have an E Maxx and T Maxx with those on them and traction was almost nonexistent LOL I took one set and cut the treads and shoulders off them and we will see if the situation improves or not......

no kidding ? I run all mine in the dirt, look up some of my vids and such here and then we can talk :)

The pitchforks that came with my first savage were taller then the tmaxx tires but would just spin like crazy and handled crazy, i put the tmaxx tires on there and made a world of difference. thought about getting some kongs but not sure if its worth it. any ideas

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back