Savage 3 speed gearbox!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heat it up if used thread locker.

Okay yes brilliant idea didn’t think of that, when I was trying to get hex shaft out I was having trouble locating my hex driver into head so not sure what’s happened there, weather I over tightened the little grub screw down to tight & it’s worn away the head slightly?
Was thinking not to use thread lock on the shaft hex & only on the little grub screw when I put it back!

It happened to me once with the hex screw shaft rounded so had to drill it out which is difficult without damaging the holder.

Probably best replacing it if you can get it out and inspect it.

Success that trick using soldering iron worked a trick, swapped tip over to my smallest one I had to get it up hard against hex head & left for 30/40 mins & got it out.
When I took hex shaft off my hex driver tip it fell apart, so I think I was damm lucky.
I used to have a rule that if I had tightened & untightened a hex bolt into metal more then four times I used to replace it no matter Condition just to prevent things like this happening!
Many Thanks.

Attachments

• B47B9705-EBF7-43DA-95B6-2049A8E1E322.jpeg
    B47B9705-EBF7-43DA-95B6-2049A8E1E322.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 2
Managed to run two tanks in my savage today & interesting when my son was having ago we could hear savage go from 2nd to 3rd gear. Can only think that because he was only giving it half throttle it was slower reaching the needed RPM as opposed to when I drive truck full throttle from the go & it changes up quicker so you can’t hear it!
So would I be right in thinking further adjustment needed to get it shifting later?

It all depends on what you want but it sounds like it could be later, more evenly spread throughout rev range. Do you not here both gear changes when holding it by grab handle and slowly accelerating?

Latest posts

Members online

Back