Savage 25 modernization

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axoman

So, I've had my Savage 25 for over 6 years. I ran it quite a bit the first year and a half and did a few mild upgrades in the first year - dual disc brakes, Ofna MP servo saver setup, brake/throttle linkages, air filter, reverse module, an HPI ribbed pipe and I ported the header. I eventually replaced the Ofna setup with the HPI cam servo saver setup when it came out. This was all about 5 years ago. Then I got married, moved half-way across the country, got bigger into drag racing and my Savage was put up on a shelf.

This past December I got it out for the first time in over 3 years to go bash with a friend of mine who has a Monster GT. Needless to say, I had a blast and got bit by the nitro bug again.

Shortly after that bash session, I got crazy on eBay and ordered a bunch of new stuff to modernize and improve it. I bought new X tvps, X bulkheads with SS alloy case diffs and HD cups, X radio box, motor plate, and a bunch of other X/SS parts.

So far, I've upgraded the SF-2 servo to an SF-5 from an XL and put aluminum servo arms on both servos, put an X radio box in it, replaced the ribbed pipe with the polished pipe and added a set of Goliath tires on black Blast wheels. I plan on replacing the old parts with the new ones as they break, or just tear it all down at some point and build it back up with the X parts.

I also hope to try my hand at porting the S-25 before I replace it with something else. The S-25 has less than 2 gallons through it, so I'm hoping porting will tied me over until the motor gets tired. Needless to say, the desire to upgrade and play with my Savage is also preventing me from getting my pride and joy back together, a 1997 Toyota Supra that should have over 1000rwhp.

Anyways, here are a few current pictures.

New parts waiting to go on.
new_parts.JPG

X radio box
x_radio.JPG

body_off.JPG

body_on.JPG

looks like a nice modernization project axo just keep it up with the pics lol. imo i would run the black stock dogbones before i would run the silvers as the black ones will twist before failure and the silvers just snap

Nice project! I'm in the same boat as you with a 25 upgrading to newer parts. Little by little. Keep the pics comming:) I'm surprised your aluminum rollbar is still in such good condition, you must be better at landings than me ..LoL, I went through 3 before I decided to go to the plastic X rollbar.

nice and sorry to hear about abut the toyota lol i bet you spank almost every car with it

nice project. you just reminded me to get my old X tvps to give to my bud Brazil at work.

you'll get some lcg out of the upgrades so thats kool.

Thanks for the comments guys! I don't think it will ever be as nice as some of the other Savages on this site, but for what I do with it, it should be just fine.

looks like a nice modernization project axo just keep it up with the pics lol. imo i would run the black stock dogbones before i would run the silvers as the black ones will twist before failure and the silvers just snap

Would you recommend just staying with the stock black dogbones?

Nice project! I'm in the same boat as you with a 25 upgrading to newer parts. Little by little. Keep the pics comming:) I'm surprised your aluminum rollbar is still in such good condition, you must be better at landings than me ..LoL, I went through 3 before I decided to go to the plastic X rollbar.

Well, to be honest, I haven't jumped it all that much and if I have, it's only maybe 3-4 feet in the air, nothing big. The only part that I've broken is the clutch, one of the shoes broke and locked up the motor. I mainly just put around in the yard, but I found out there is a race track about 5 miles from where I live, so I may start racing some this summer and I'm sure more things will break then.

I took the S-25 apart tonight, I'm going to try to port it. I had a problem with one of the back plate screws - the head stripped and I ruined two allen wrenches in the process of trying to get out. The other 3 back plate screws came out just fine. I tried heating it up, but ended up having to drill the head out of it and I now have maybe an 1/8 or so of the screw left in the engine case that I hope will be enough to get a pair of pliers or vice grips on it and twist it out. Any one have any tips on getting that final screw out?

The sleeve was a major pain to get out as well, I think I went through about 8 or 10 zip ties before I finally had it loose enough to pull out.

I'm excited to try porting it to see what I get out of it. I've got one or two more Dremel bits to buy and I'll be all set.

Got most of the S-25 porting done, I increased the induction and exhaust port timing, opened up the exhaust port in the case and ported the sleeve. I need to get the piston off the rod so I can take off some of the skirt. I followed the RC Car action article (big thanks to users Chris and wannus for getting it to me), I just hope I didn't go too far on the exhaust or induction timing. If it doesn't run good or blows up, it just gives me an excuse to get a new engine.

Any tips on removing the small clips that hold the piston pin in?

Did some work on the engine this past week, took it all apart, ported the sleeve and increased the induction and exhaust timing.

Got it running again tonight and it screams now. I think my clutch has started to slip, but it's amazing how much faster it is now, and I haven't even got the tuned dialed yet.

Go easy on me, this was my first porting job.

sleeve_front.JPG

sleeve_side.JPG

Notched piston
piston.JPG

Opened up rear exhaust port in the case.
case.JPG

assembled.JPG

Sealed and ready to go.
sealed.JPG

I know there is more I could do, but I figured I'd start here and see how it goes. So far, I'm very happy with how well it's running, so I don't know if I'll tear it apart anytime soon and go for broke.

Got a fun lil upgrade goonb on there. Remember when you switch over to the x tvp you'll gave to have the x style bottom brave on the motor plate the one that has a notch out of it where the drive cup don't hit it. Per x is just solid across. And will pinch the drive cup making the truck run like it has the breaks on. Looks fun. Keep up the hood work and pics

I have that same kit on a well used 25, it works well except for my outside pad striped off of the collar and now i am only using one disk to stop. One thing that I did was tweaked the brake rod a bit to get some more stopping power.
When I first looked at your truck i was so supprised on how well the body looked, just last weekend i finally had to trash my bash body (orange 25) after the bed ripped from the cab on one side...

Latest posts

Members online

Back