Savage 25 front diffs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SavageRed25

I have inherited an old savage 25, the motor has been replaced with a dynamite big red .28 mach 2. It needs new servos (no problem), a new transmitter and receiver (no problem). It also needs new front (and maybe rear) diffs.

1) Can I use savage x diffs on a savage 25?
2) Is this truck worth fixing or should I sell as a parts truck?

Thank you, I am very very new to the HPI savage world and I am just not sure what I got myself into.

Original diff ratios are 43/13, later ones are 29/9. you cant mix and match. The internals had only 2 bevel gears in the original diff, compared to 4 in later ones. Best longer term option is to source a 2x complete bullet proof 29/9 diff (metal case, 4 gear internals). Strip current diffs and determine what needs replacing. The diff cups need to match your drive shaft ball size. The diffs for the Flux and 5.9 are for 11mm ball drive shafts compared to 9mm for 4.6 / 25. Check condition of ball bearings in diff and axles. A 25 truck will run just as good as later versions, just has slightly higher centre of gravity, older style radio box, not easy access diff housings.

Original diff ratios are 43/13, later ones are 29/9. you cant mix and match. The internals had only 2 bevel gears in the original diff, compared to 4 in later ones. Best longer term option is to source a 2x complete bullet proof 29/9 diff (metal case, 4 gear internals). Strip current diffs and determine what needs replacing. The diff cups need to match your drive shaft ball size. The diffs for the Flux and 5.9 are for 11mm ball drive shafts compared to 9mm for 4.6 / 25. Check condition of ball bearings in diff and axles. A 25 truck will run just as good as later versions, just has slightly higher centre of gravity, older style radio box, not easy access diff housings.

Thank you.

Latest posts

Members online

Back