Savage 25 change savage X wheels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

I've recently purchased a set of savage X wheels for my s25 I know I need some 17mm hex's but what nuts do I need I brought M5 8mm flanged one they don't seem to fit the thread ?

Thanks in advance

Hi.

They fit but only on one side. Savage 25 has reverse thread on one side. You have to change one side axles as well to get rid of the reverse thread.

Do I need to get anything else or will these just go straight on to the savage 25 ?

You can use 2 of them and 2 you can keep for spares. 2 on your car are already using the right thread. These will replace your "silver color" axles on your savage 25. These will be direct fit/replacement. Then 17 hex and then wheel and then flanged nut. IF we are talking about HPI hex and flanged nut.

If you have a source for the HPI flanged nuts, get a couple sets. They have a tendency to break apart.

The old ones were a thicker hat/rim, the later version of the HPI Z680:
2017-0602-HPIFlangeNutsCompare.jpg

The newer/thinner ones tended to do this:
2017-0602-HPIFlangeNutsCompareBroken.jpg

I found some axial ones, but the threads didn't start for about 2mm into it, so if you had thick wheels like my proline trenchers came on, they wouldn't get much thread. They did work fine though and were a lot stronger built.

HPI Z680 vs axial 31087:
2017-0821-HPI_Z680-old-new-axial31087-side.jpg

2017-0821-HPI_Z680-old-new-axial31087-bottom.jpg

z680/axial installed:
2018-0313-SavageFlux-AxialWheelNutCompare-AXI31087.jpg

You can also consider these, I was interested until I went bigger: 17mm Hex
I use Baja wheels on my savages.

I also saw these for cheaper : Other 17mm hex

Do hope I'm not violating any rules, but in place of the factory 17mm hexes and wheel nuts for the Savage, I'd strongly recommend contacting a man by the name of Brett Strickler on Facebook, he makes what I think are the best hub solution for the truck right now, He even recently updated them to have some extra offset, as well as various anodizing colors.

Attachments

• PXL_20210102_214830709.jpg
    PXL_20210102_214830709.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 10
You can also consider these, I was interested until I went bigger: 17mm Hex
I use Baja wheels on my savages.

I also saw these for cheaper : Other 17mm hex
The first ones would be the better of the two since the inside of the hub will ride on the barrol nut they provide. The other will mostly float which will get sloppy/wobbly after a short time. Like the ones traxxas offered for the older revo's before the 2.0 came out with 1/8th buggy type axles that were smooth and unthreaded.

Latest posts

Members online

Back