Rusty Carburetor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rmadrid7

Hello

I bought my SAVAGE!!! and find out this on my Carburetor....all rusty...
What can i do?
any suggestions?

IMG_3398.jpg

Last edited:
You can take it apart and clean it/oil it and maybe with a scotch brite pad (plastic abrasive pad), you can get most of the rust off without grinding the slide down much. If you sand it down, odds are it will make for a leaky carb around the slide barrol.

If the carb looks like that, odds are the bearings are probably also rusty as they are high carbon steel which are prone to rusting, as is the crankshaft. Clean it the best you can and start saving up for a new engine.

CALL HPI!!!! they will make it good, send pics of the carb and pull off the backplate and snap a couple and send it is to them......

Yea I would give hpi a call, they should be able to get it taken care of for you. Tell them you want a wheelie bar or something for your troubles too, hey you never know :)

CALL HPI!!!! they will make it good, send pics of the carb and pull off the backplate and snap a couple and send it is to them......

I did it yesterday and i am waiting a response from HPI.

You bought it like this as in it came out of the box like this?

Yes I bought it brand new and they send me this truck like this. I don't know why they send stuff like this, but i hope that HPI reward all this hassle.

Yes I bought it brand new and they send me this truck like this. I don't know why they send stuff like this, but i hope that HPI reward all this hassle.

My guess is that possibly this truck sat on the shelf for a very long time.

I hope hpi takes care of it. I would probably contact tower hobbies also and see if they plan on doing anything about it

thank for the moral support... today a fin out another problem. The slipp clutch gear is complete destroy.... and i though i will have fun this weekend. This is really a pain in the neck. Apparently this truck was in the shelf for long time. I belief that. Anyways... head up.. i will take the bull by the horns :)
I hope HPI takes care of it. I would probably contact tower hobbies also and see if they plan on doing anything about it
Thanks X25 for the advise to contact HobbyTower, i will do this too.

IMG_3409.JPG

A destroyed spur gear on a truck sold as new? That really doesn't sound right. Is it possible you were given a used one by mistake?

well the spur gear was alright until i run 3 tank on idle for the break in... i wrote HPI and Hobbytower...now I can sit and see a movie.. weekend its over with the Savage.

Well, RTR just means it has all the parts... not that everything is fully locked down. Just curious, did you go over all the visible screws/bolts and make sure things were tight? Wondering if your engine moved on you and tore up the spur. There's really no other reason that could have happened without bad mesh at idle.

question: shout the Savage roll free ? because my savage in off modus, feels like he is engage with a gear... he don't roll free.
I don't know if i explain my self right.

Well, RTR just means it has all the parts... not that everything is fully locked down. Just curious, did you go over all the visible screws/bolts and make sure things were tight? Wondering if your engine moved on you and tore up the spur. There's really no other reason that could have happened without bad mesh at idle.
I don't check every screw... but i checked the main things.

Most of the gears are engaged a bit whether you roll forward or back, but rolling forward, it should free wheel (coast) pretty easily. If it doesn't, then you have something binding/dragging.

Considering yours is new, the diffs/trans gears probably are barely worn in, so it may be a bit tight yet. I know if I shove mine with my foot on pavement, it will roll freely for many feet. Mine has many gallons through it and I run short sidewall tires that are fairly hard, so they don't add a lot of rolling resistance.

Most of the gears are engaged a bit whether you roll forward or back, but rolling forward, it should free wheel (coast) pretty easily. If it doesn't, then you have something binding/dragging.

Considering yours is new, the diffs/trans gears probably are barely worn in, so it may be a bit tight yet. I know if I shove mine with my foot on pavement, it will roll freely for many feet. Mine has many gallons through it and I run short sidewall tires that are fairly hard, so they don't add a lot of rolling resistance.
Thank you ... i will probably tear in parts the truck and check everything. If a have questions.. this forum will help me. I am sorry that i write a lot .. but you guys give me the best advise.
Thanks a lot.

Man, that stinks. Live never dealt with HK, but Tower has always done ok by me. Hate to hear that, man.

Man, that stinks. Live never dealt with HK, but Tower has always done ok by me. Hate to hear that, man.
Its ok Rocky... I think this is a learning experience ... the only think is that I don't want is to spend more money.. I bought the Trophy 4.6 3 months ago and now the Savage... and this is enough. :)

Sorry, I didn't realize you had run the truck. The destroyed spur gear has to be the result of bad gear mesh, either set badly at the factory or a loose engine. Sorry about the bad luck!

Sorry, I didn't realize you had run the truck. The destroyed spur gear has to be the result of bad gear mesh, either set badly at the factory or a loose engine. Sorry about the bad luck!
Engine is tie... i think the clutch is not slipping well... like I said, i will put everything apart y check piece by piece. Thanks

Here a pic without the backplate. Locks very fine to me. What do you think?IMG_3417 2.JPG

Here a pic without the backplate. Locks very fine to me. What do you think?View attachment 1842
I just took the back plate of my engine today. Your looking brand new in there. I left my engine sitting all winter with no after run oil in it. My bottom end has some minor surface rust, but the carb looks good. Yours seems the other way around. Looks to me like she's brand spankin. I've never bought a RTR truck before, so I don't know how they come. was the carb exposed? without an air filter elbow or cover of some kind. Just looks like the slide was exposed to the elements.

When you did the 3 tanks of idle did you have the wheels on or off the ground? The spur gear could be a result from heat build up from either the slipper clutch not being tight enough or from the heat build up thru the clutch bell. Break in is necessary for the engine but can take its toll on parts like the spur gear.
Like said above it could also be in proper gear mesh. I went thru alot of spur gear due to a poorly machined engine plate before

When you did the 3 tanks of idle did you have the wheels on or off the ground? The spur gear could be a result from heat build up from either the slipper clutch not being tight enough or from the heat build up thru the clutch bell. Break in is necessary for the engine but can take its toll on parts like the spur gear.
Like said above it could also be in proper gear mesh. I went thru alot of spur gear due to a poorly machined engine plate before
Yes i have the truck on the stand.. wheels in the air... i do not understand why this happen, but is already done deal. As long the engine is fine and HPI send my a new carb, i am good with it.. but we will see .. i keep you all posted.

Last edited:
I bet they (hpi) will find it hard to believe your story but they will send you a carb. Its really a great truck so don't give up on it because of this.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back