Run away / Failsafe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbd

Hey Guys was out breaking in a 2 new stock savage 4.6 and about the 6th tank the truck took off wide open throttle the transmitter would not control it ,it had a mind of it's own. also has s factory failsafe and manual tells you how to set it tried it there way 5 times and its suppose to deploy the brakes if transmitter shuts down but does not work ..does anyone know why it would automatically accelerate to wide open throttle on its own?

Is the radio 2.4 gig or older crystal styles, I have used external failsafes as well as failsafes built into the radio system, both work well as long as they are setup according to the instructions.....

Also have to ask if using a 6 volt hump battery or the 4 cell dry cell holders that come with many radio systems???

also if your batteries are not charged fully whether using a hump pack or brand new batteries in the 4 cell holder....

one other thing is you need to use a return spring of some kind on the throttle arm or servo arm, something to help it return to neutral setting if it tries to run away again....

Jam 2.4 g.transmitter and 4 cell dry cell holders in reciever . And used batteries that came with rtr kit in both vehicles for 7 tanks of fuel within 3 days and the other 4.6 did not have a run away .

I see your trouble, it is the dry cell 4 cell receiver pack, they are notorious for not working right, thing to buy is a couple decent 5 cell hump batteries and be done losing signal due to dead batteries.....

Jam thanks and can u recomend a hump pack and charger these days. And also a good failsafe.

Thanks Jam for all the info . I think your right I checked the 4 battteries in reciever 1 was dead . You are prob right and can u provide a link to return springs ? I've been reading till my eyes bleed and cant find anything .

Also will the Flysky transmitter work with the savage 4.6 , Do I need to buy a reciever or will it work with my factory reciever in savage ?

Thanks X but do u think that spring will stop throttle from going wide open

Thanks X but do u think that spring will stop throttle from going wide open

When that spring is in place and there is no input from the throttle servo, it causes the carb slide to return to idle.

That I agree X but will it help if a glitch causes wot ?

If an issue causes the servo to hold the carb open, no, the spring will do little to help. The spring cannot overcome the force of the servo when powered.

After the run away/crash in a parking lot air filter and tailpipe were 5 feet from truck air filter had all kind of debree on it , what would you do to make sure no dirt or particles got in carb ?

After the run away/crash in a parking lot air filter and tailpipe were 5 feet from truck air filter had all kind of debree on it , what would you do to make sure no dirt or particles got in carb ?

I had a runaway a long time ago, truck hit a fence, the air filter came off the pipe was broken, destroyed the entire front of my USA1 Nitro Crusher, the engine was screaming until it died, I took it home disassembled it completely and while I was waiting on parts I tore down the engine an (OS .21 RXB to be exact) all the way, cleaned everything with denatured alcohol, didn't look too bad so I put it together again and once the parts I had broken arrived I put the rig back together, it started right up and seemed to run fine, guess I got lucky and learned a tough lesson that day...
Back then there were no failsafes or 2.4 gig radios, I had an Airtronics XL2p on 27mhz FM at the time, I did add a return spring after the fact but in my case it would not have helped because my throttle servo fried in the WFO position, it went about an acre and a half before hitting that fence......

I hate when that happens it makes u feel helpless, I was going to strip it down and clean it out but I sealed the backplate and don't feel like scraping it off and resealing so I think I'm just goin to fire it up and hope for the best and thanks for reply.

Latest posts

Members online

Back