RPM A-Arms

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AoD

Your A-Arms are an important part of the suspension on your truck. Without them, shocks wouldn’t be possible, and niether would many other important factors that are needed when bashing or racing your RC. RPM Products has made a history of having some of the tougher replacement parts out there to take more abuse then their stock counter parts.

[FONT=&quot]“One of the main problems we found with stock suspension arms on these trucks is they have excess clearance built into them, making critical settings such as camber, caster & toe angles nearly impossible to lock down. RPM Savage & Savage-X A-arms have been engineered to strict tolerances and in some areas, we’ve eliminated as much as 0.051” (or in excess of 3/64”) of slop in the suspension system and completely eliminated the need for shim kits! These tighter-tolerance A-arms allow critical suspension settings to remain long after they’ve been set. Furthermore, our A-arms are still silky smooth throughout the entire range of suspension travel.” -[/FONT] http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/products/HPI/SavParts.htm#arms

82002.jpg
ArmColor.jpg

Well shortly after breaking in my new Savage X RTR I broke my first A-Arm which was still stock. Over the years, I’ve seen many models with weak points in the A-Arms and usually have replaced them with RPM products. They’ve been known to have some quality products, especially in the suspension department.

Since then, I’ve put the RPM A-Arms through many abusive situations. Some things that I’ve noticed would even snap the best of stock or replacement A-Arms. They’ve remained very strong since I had purchased them, and they still have very little slop in any area that sees repeditive movement. They have not bent, twisted, or broke. They however do show some wear on the bottom where the surfaces have been scratched heavily by rough terrain, however this hasn’t affected their performance at all.

The problems I have had with the replacement A-Arms has been evident though. I’ve bent a couple A-Arm pins so far, but they were cheaper then replacing A-Arms after a serious crash. The added strength of the A-Arms will cause weaker parts to show their weaknesses and could end up causing other things to break instead of them. However, so far they haven’t caused any major problems with my truck. Run after run, they remain tough and don’t break, even with some direct hits on the wheels.

A set of these A-Arms won’t set you back a house payment, but might make you change your mind if you’re planning on putting them on all four corners of your truck. The A-Arms come in two kits, one is a Left Front or Right Rear, and the other is the Right Front or Left Rear. They range from around $11 to $13 dollars on average and come in three colors; purple, black and blue. One set will get you one wheel and it will require 4 sets to complete your truck with RPM A-Arms. However, each set comes with one lower arm and two upper arms giving the user an option of solid upper arms. The upper arms come in a 0 Degree camber or -2 Degree camber, giving the user a choice of which camber angle to run. Most advanced savage owners would rather run an adjustable setup where they can have full control over the camber angles. For the ametuer or novice owner, they have a selection of what to chose, without having to worry about these settings as much. RPM Retails the A-Arms at $14.95 a set, which most places sell them around $12.00. This will translate into a full RPM A-Arm set for just under $50.00. This isn’t a bad price, considering how much abuse these A-Arms are able to take.

I would recommend these arm to anyone who puts their truck through heavy abuse. These A-Arms are very strong, and do not seem to have any weak points to them. They have remained reliable run after run, and show no signs of heavy wear. The arms are high quality replacements and were very easy to install. They are a good alternative compared to stock replacements, even to the more advanced RC enthusiasts.

Pros:
Tough replacement compared to stock
High quality with very little suspension slop
Two different upper arms with different camber angles
Easy replacement, easy to bolt on
Three different choices of colors, including an HPI matching purple

Cons:
Can be harder on other parts, since they are no longer a weakpoint in the suspension
The cost can be high when doing all four arms at once

All in all, the A-Arms have been a worthy buy for me. The many hours that I’ve put them through, they haven’t seemed to break a sweat. They haven’t budged, and seem to hold up really well. Overall, these arms have impressed me, and seem like a very good option part to think about for your Savage. RPM also carries a lifetime warranty on their products, but there are some guidelines you must follow to take advantage of the warranty. The abuse I have put my set of arms through have certainly violated the warranty, and they still haven’t failed at their job and continue to be a rock solid product.

Tuning: 7 (You only have two upper camber selections)

Maintenance: 10 No maintenance, other than oiling the hinges

Value: 10 I can't break them... They are tough arms!

Directions: 9 Simple enough to follow, not extremely detailed

Quality: 10 Best looking arms ever. Really good quality!

Durability: 10 (I wanted to say 500..) Tough as all heck. I'm talking, WOT into many immovable objects, and they haven't broke.

Performance 8 They are a bit lighter then stock X arms, however; 15 times tougher. No adjustments other than 2 camber differences on upper a-arms.

Last edited by a moderator:
I pulled this from RPM- Reference to RMP's Warranty:

Q: What is RPM's warranty policy?
spacer.gif (55 bytes)
A: It is a common misperception that RPM has a "no questions asked" warranty policy. Although we do have the best warranty in the R/C industry, it is not "no questions asked". The following text describes in detail what our warranty does and does not cover, subject to RPM final review.

If you manage to break an RPM molded product under normal operating conditions(1), we will replace that part at no further cost to you(2). Normal operating conditions covers most types of driving conditions that an unmodified, stock R/C vehicle would normally encounter, including most normal bumps, jumps, and road hazards. RPM will not warranty a broken or damaged part if it has been modified in any way (or if the part breaks due to modifications elsewhere on the vehicle that directly affects the RPM part in question). This includes, but is not limited to, drilling, grinding, filing, etc., nor will we warranty any part that has been worn out through extended use and / or abuse. In addition, it is nearly impossible to crush an RPM part under normal operating conditions, therefore crush damage of any sort will not be covered. Please use common sense to determine if the breakage was caused by a materials or workmanship issue. We take great pride in the engineering and craftsmanship that goes into each and every RPM part. Therefore, we take our customer service related issues just as seriously and we will do everything possible to resolve legitimate warranty related claims. RPM reserves the right to final judgment regarding all warranty issues. Every RPM part sent in for warranty review will be reviewed by a member of the RPM staff to determine whether or not the guidelines of the RPM warranty policy apply.

We test every part we build on a stock, unmodified vehicle. We can only guarantee the fit and performance of an RPM part based on the stock, unmodified vehicle. Any additional non-RPM parts or modifications made to your vehicle may affect the performance of any installed RPM products and can quite possibly void the RPM warranty. It is the responsibility of the vehicle's owner to determine whether or not additional non-RPM aftermarket items or physical modifications to the vehicle will affect the fit or performance of any RPM products installed.

Again I borrowed this from RPM.

AOD
- Very nice review you submitted.

Thank You,

Hop

I've had nothing but good luck with RPM products to be honest.. Never had one fail on me. I had one twist a shock mount hole though, it was easily fixed with some insta-thread and glue :)

Great review AoD. Very through.

aod

could you rate these parts for us / 1 - 10 scale / 10 being the best

example:

Tuning: 9
Maintenance: 10
Value: 10
Directions: 8
Quality: 9
Durability: 9
Performance

THANK YOU

I love RPM and use their stuff on any vehicle they make something for. They have never let me down. If you look on ebay you can find a guy that sells a complete set for the savy for about $45 shipped.

great review aod on a great product as i've used rpm a-arms and loved them and I'm currently still using the rpm center skid plate!!:resp:

While I don't have RPM's on my Savages because of the LST mounting kits, I do have them on my Tmaxx, LST2, and Jato. I read in a review in XRC or RCCA. I don't remember which one. When asked if hitting a curb at 60 mph was normal driving conditions, they replied yes. As long as you didnt alter their product they will cover it. I have hit curbs at 30ish with the Jato and haven't broke any yet. Great products. Good review AOD.

Tuning: 7 (You only have two upper camber selections)

Maintenance: 10 No maintenance, other than oiling the hinges

Value: 10 I can't break them... They are tough arms!

Directions: 9 Simple enough to follow, not extremely detailed

Quality: 10 Best looking arms ever. Really good quality!

Durability: 10 (I wanted to say 500..) Tough as all heck. I'm talking, WOT into many immovable objects, and they haven't broke.

Performance 8 They are a bit lighter then stock X arms, however; 15 times tougher. No adjustments other than 2 camber differences on upper a-arms.

Sure can buddy! There's my ratings. They are a definite excellent top ten buy for the savage. Direct replacement from stock too, and they are about 500 times tougher. Give them a try, you won't be dissappointed.

Also, in three colors, why not choose purple or blue?

And thanks everyone for the nice words on the product! Soon enough, I'll be reviewing some other gear. School has really drug me down pretty hard.. So, I haven't been able to keep up. I'm gonna be reviewing larsens PRC Hellfire Midtank first. And btw, it's GREAT! :)

very nice job Aod, I´m going to assembly rpm kit, but i must to fount it on ebay

I'm sure you'll all love the RPM Arms, they are tough as nails, and actually lighter then the stockers! I also recommend the center skid plates for them. Very protective, and only 2 minutes to install! I can't tell you how much dirt it keeps out of the underneath!

I have used the Rpm products and have all great things to say about them especially the control arms!! look great also!!

All of the a-arms that I have installed on our Savage's from RPM have survived the abuse we subjected them to!! Great post!

i have a set on the way for the front of my savage. i had them on my old E-Maxx stockers broke on the 2nd run. went with RPM and never had a single problem.

i would like to see them make a skid plate for the XL. and maybe some shock towers.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back