Roto starter wount start engine ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne!!

Hi All,

I went and bought a Saxage XL 5.9 yesterday and charged the roto starter for 14 hrs and it wount start the engine. Its like there's not enough power to turn it ? Has this happened to any off yours, if so is there anything that can be done ??

Thanks again.

Its probably flooded. Heat the engine with a heat gun or hair drier till you get it to around 120 F. Make sure not to over prime the engine and flood it. I prime mine till the fuel just gets to the carb, not till there is no air in the lines like HPI recommends.
I also like to loosen my glow plug 1/2 turn on the first startup. This allows some of the compression to blow by and makes starting easier on the one way bearing (OWB).

Thanks for that il try that next time. I got it started with a power drill,small turns at a time. The roto starter doesn't seem to have enough power ? I think il get a pull cored for it, might be less hassell in the long run. Its the first RC i bought and I'm very impressed so far, unbielivable speed with the 3 gears on it, just a pity there's no reverse but i can live with that. Thanks again.

Well when you upgrade radios later down the road get a 3 channel one and you can get the reverse upgrade for the trans. Problem solved.

The compression is very tight on a new engine, the rotostart should have no problems. I believe that the Rotostart 2's used to have to much grease in them from the factory and once it bleeds out, they work better.

Make a mark on your flywheel where the piston is at top dead center (TDC) and bottom dead center (BDC). Sometimes the piston gets stuck at these two locations and makes turning over the engine difficult.

As the engine gets broken in the rotostart should work just fine.

Thanks for that il try that next time. I got it started with a power drill,small turns at a time. The roto starter doesn't seem to have enough power ? I think il get a pull cored for it, might be less hassell in the long run. Its the first RC i bought and I'm very impressed so far, unbielivable speed with the 3 gears on it, just a pity there's no reverse but i can live with that. Thanks again.

Be careful turning an engine over with a drill. The rotostarts are designed to have just enough power to start the engine. The drill could over torque the engine, and in turn if it hydrolocks, snap the connecting rod in half.

Hydrolocking is when the cylinder has too much fuel for the engine to compress. It gets a perfect seal and makes it really hard to turn over.

The BEST way to clear a problem like that with a new engine is the way it has been said before; loosening the glow plug. When it's a brand new engine, I would recommend turning it a full turn until it starts firing, then tighten it down and start it up. This way, has enough compression loss to make it easier to start.

Personally, I recommend never using a drill as a starter, and also recommend getting a pull start. When the engine gets to tight to pull or turn over; it could end up causing some damage if you force it over.

All thanks again for the advise, i didn't want to use the drill to be honest but the Roto starter was driving me mad ! I broke the engine in as stated in the manual and today it started handy enough with the Roto starter. Loosing the Glow plug a bit worked a treat aswell, its amazing what a bit of advise from the professionals can do ; -) Thanks again.

That's what we're here for. Now you'll know what to do when the roto locks up like that. :) We're all just giving you advice that we've had to work around ourselves!

Good luck with your new truck, I'm sure you're gonna have a ball with it! :)

ok 14 hours on the stick pack??? i think you might have been confused when you got the instrucktions, the truck pack is to be charged for 14 hours and the stick and ignightor are to be charged for about 2 -3 hours only. so you might have over chrged the stick pack so that it may not have the power to turn the motor fast enough

ok 14 hours on the stick pack??? i think you might have been confused when you got the instrucktions, the truck pack is to be charged for 14 hours and the stick and ignightor are to be charged for about 2 -3 hours only. so you might have over chrged the stick pack so that it may not have the power to turn the motor fast enough

For a low mA charger the times are right stang racer. I don't remember the exact # but my pack was in the 14-16 hour range for the first charge and for my igniter it is 15 hours I'm sure of that. But all are different and consult you manuals for these times. Peak chargers cut these time down into the single digits and are well worth the money.
The roto start I had also developed more power after the first and second packs were thru it. After that I went back to a pull start myself but the Roto was no longer weak. Hydro lock may have also played a factor but you know your way around that now.
All too soon the Roto is going to turn fine and the mill wont.... Thats you OWB and come see us when this happens.
Last but not least
welcome33.gif
to the forum!!

Members online

Back