roto start vs. cordless drill

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreCoul

i found out that a 5.9 kills a roto start. the roto start kept stalling on the 5.9 but when i used it on the 30 vg would turn over no problem. i heard from a friend that a cordless drill works on 32 axials but on some engines the drill won't turn fast enough. has anyone used a drill on a 5.9 or 30vg???????

tre, if the mill kills your roto batt too fast, then loosen the glow plug a tad till the mill starts & retighten it when running. engine will turn over much easier with less compression & your batt will last longer.

makes sense kinda like when its flooded almost shot myself in the eye today trying that, never knew there was that much fuel in it.

lesson learned mouth shut eyes away. or rag on top

The drill works on the Os .30vg. Just make sure that you spin it fast enough. I use a high powered cord drill and works perfect! my roto start broke :[ so i resorted to that. Not sure on the 5.9 but I'm sure it would work.

the roto start stalls out for a reason, so you don't pound the internals of your engine to death. You could probably wreck you rod if you use a drill with the clutch set too tight. There has to be some give in whatever you are using to start your engine.

thanks for the tips guys also just thinking that a pull start would be nice too or a extra battery for the roto

thanks for the tips guys also just thinking that a pull start would be nice too or a extra battery for the roto

definitely go with the extra battery option. if your rotostart burns out then maybe try the drill. new mills tend to flood so it is nice to have the safety switch so you don't kill your mill

I used an ac drill once in a pinch and I regretted it. It snapped the rear roto assembly on my os30 like a twig. U must loosen the glow plug. I would recommend to always use a clutch drill and set it light and go up a couple clicks at a time if it slips when turning over the engine.

i agree with blazer x i would assume as long as you use a drill with a clutch and set it on the low end so it doesn't turn the motor beyond a certain point it should be alright. i was thinking about just buying a rotostart back plate for my savage and use a drill too. i'm an electrician and i use clutch drills everyday and i don't see why there would be any reason for it to ruin anything in the motor as long as your clutch is set right.

Latest posts

Members online

Back