Roto Start spins free

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ecough

Tried to start my savy tonight and all I got was the roto start spinning the gearbox, but not spinning the mill. I tore out the mill and disasembled the gearbox on the back and all looks good. What turns the mill? It is a straight shaft going in to the mill. Anybody else had his happen?

Thanks,
Ryan:bozzy:

This can be an intermittent problem but basically one they spin they spin. They will catch once in a while thought.

You can take it out and clean it out with carb or Break cleaner which will help for a while. Also, loosening the plug 1/4 turn helps as well upon the first starting. I have also heard that you can scratch the shaft going into the OWB and it will help grab but be careful not to scratch the section that rides in the brass bushing or it will eat it away on the back plate. You want these scratches going up and down the shaft not around it and don't get carried away it just takes very light scratches.

The best alternative is it purchase a new one but they are spendy in most cases.

^^^All of the above and I'll also mention that some fuels can cause the OWB to slip. Traxxas fuel has been known to do this.

Interesting about the Traxxas fuel. I just ran that the last time. What fuel do you recommend? Mix your own? That one way bearing stetup is ery interesting, I used to me a mechanic in a John Deere shop and now am a Parts Manager. I have never seen anything like this before. Very cool idea for a simple over running clutch.

Ryan

nitrotane is a good fuel. I ran that forever with no issues, ran a gallon of traxxas and bam!!! OWB problems. They run about 21 bucks at hobbyclown.
don't mess with trying to salvage it save the headaches and just replace it. oh and buy a spare if you can.

Interesting about the Traxxas fuel. I just ran that the last time. What fuel do you recommend? Mix your own?

I run a local mix here in Houston called Ritches Brew. But as far as a national brand, Byrons Gen II - FTW.

all you do is take you OWB out and soak it in mentholated spirits for a couple of hours. reinstall and bingo... works every time!

Latest posts

Members online

Back