Roto Start Slipping!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckelloggjr

My roto start has started to slip. I am a worrier; always worst case! Anyway, is it ever the crank shaft or something expensive when this happens or is it the one-way bearing or gears? What usually goes first?

thanks, ck

-
Hey chellloggjr.
A leaky exhaust port and over spills are notorious for spreading fuel oils all over the engine and motor plate. especially durring break-in.
This leads to the oils infiltrating inbetween the rotoplate/pull start and reaching the OWB (one way bearing) area, thus causing slippage...

Your problem is most likely your OWB.

To remedy...
Remove and dis-assemeble the back rotoplate/pull start and de-grease roto parts. ( Do not dis-assemble pull start) Remove to crankcase
back plate. Clean and dry the OWB and all associated parts in the area with nitro cleanner. Make sure you've removed the oilly residues
from the crack case. Wipe dry all parts as much as possible with a clean cloth.

Re-install the OWB with assembly followed by the crank's backplate with an RTV sealant, mentioned in the link below. Apply the RTV
around the perimiters of the back crank plate and then install... Use a star pattern to tighten the bolts. After cleanning the roto/pull start,
do the same with the starting plate's surface with RTV. Install roto/ pull start to the crank back plate with same bolt up method.

You can reffer to these sealing procedures for the back plates and intire engine, for that matter, in this link's thread.
https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1511

-

Last edited by a moderator:
HMMM MINE DID THAT A COUPLE TIMES BUT CORRECTED ITSELF SO I NEVER THOUGHT NO MORE ABOUT IT!! ATLEAST NOW I KNOW WHY IT DID THAT!!! LOL:duh:

This is just a though.

If you seal the roto start plate or pull start plate with ATV Then any oil that gets through the rear seal will be stuck in the ROTO or PULL start plate.

I would not seal the acctual roto or pull start plate I would also drill a 1/32 hole in the bottom of the ROTO or PULL start plate to allow for drainage.

Just seal the motor's rear plate, the seal in the middle for the starter shaft to enter the motor will leak oil this is what will fill up your Roto or Pull start.

This is My Opinion and if you think about it it might make sence to you.

Thank you guys so much! I will tear it apart and clean it. One question to savagecre, what is ATV? Sometimes the acryonyms throw me a little, b ut I really appreciate hearing from the experts.

ck

Is there a common product that can be used instead of nitro-cleaner. Like brake cleaner or ????

ck

The RTV I'm reffering to is a High temp, silicon sealer that comes in a tube. It's used in the auto industry as a liquid gasket product.

Click on the the link in my first post of this thread and it will tell you what RTV is and what type and brand to get.

Is there a common product that can be used instead of nitro-cleaner. Like brake cleaner or ????

ck

You can probably use spray can type carb cleanner that's also alot cheaper than the LHS nitro cleanners by far. (Costco) by the six pack.

Carb cleanner does leave a thin lube of residue behind so you'll want to wipe off all the parts and let dry before re-assembly.

There is a kit on eBay that claims since the the starter shaft does not turn after the engine starts, that a nut with a set screw attached directly to the starter shaft will work instead of a OWB???? The item number is 270161373259. Will this really work? ck

I think there is a thread on the nut on ebay already somewhere. see if you can find it, there will be more info there. check that your exhaust gasket isn't leaking as well. That is also a good place for oil to come from at the back of an engine.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back