roto start shaft broke ( ball end style )

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdman

hi all, I have searched but come up empty. okay so my starter shaft finally broke and trying to find a new #87617 is near impossible. does anyone know the size of the hex head for the receiver of the starter shaft? I'm guessing it to be metric , the ball end of the starter shaft is just like a rounded head on a allen hex key. so gonna try that route before I rip into changing the style to the pin style shaft and starter plate. and some of you will say go to pull start, I'm not counting that out, but my question is how do you prime the engine with a pull start?
also gonna try a Losi Spin-Start Hex Drive Rod, I know it looks short but that can be fixed

thank-you in advance for the answers and replies

Remove pressure line and blow down it to force fuel from tank to carb. Losi did a ball end but may not fit into rotostart.

That is not roto start, its nitro start. I think the design of that is the best one. It doesnt use one way bearing to start the engine. I always wondered why they discontinued the best starting system.. To sell one way bearings or dumb users broke their engines by overpriming?
Have you tried some hex or torx heads? Maybe there is some good fit?

FYI : THE "NITRO START" TURNS THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION OF THE "ROTO START" IN STOCK DESIGN ....

seems to be a 6mm ball end hex head allen key fyi for anyone else that might be in the same situation. I just tried a 6mm flat allen key and it fits nice and snug in there. so off to hardware store to get a ball end one. will update on Monday.

I just feel the need to say that I've been through all sorts of hell before realizing that I LOVE pullstart so much more. If you could find a pullstart that will fit it get one. I broke a lot of starter shafts and got a few wrong back plates and at the end pull starts just worked out so much better and you won't have to carry a roto starter or drill. I been through the same thing with a HPI and Novarossi engine and I just wish someone would have stopped me when my first roto starter failed and saved me the time money and stress and talk me into a pullstart. No more worries of rotostarter, rotostarter batteries, back plates, shafts and you could feel your engine. You may have to cut some of the body up to reach the pull start easy but if you wanted to you could even start it with the body off then throw on the body. Anyway just my two cents.

For a pull start no. I don't even know what your talking about with perfact 90 degrees. Just look fot a pullstart with the right size hex for the engine and your golden. Believe it or not I even found it easier to start just prime it good.

He was answering my question.
Let us see what you figure out birdman.
so the 6mm ball end hex allen key worked PERFECT! I cut the right angle end off and now better than new. used the blow method to prime and this new starter shaft and right away fired up! # 4 plug even in our Canadian weather we have right now. I'm just happy was able to get it figured out.
cheers
next up need more Nitro.. have gone through 3 bottles of Byrons 20% and just about out of it again. now seeing they are no longer in business I'd have to go to a different kind think also might jump to 30%
and time for a new body shell too......

Latest posts

Members online

Back