Roto Start one way bearing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeetheCherokee

Hey guys,
This is a great forum and the wealth of knowledge is pretty vast. I have an issue that I hope someone can help with. I have a savage SS 4.6.

After melting a spur gear and breaking one of my new integy shock (the shocks are junk), I wasn't able to restart my engine with the Roto Start. I suspect it is my one way bearing, and that is what my lhs said as well. However, I want to make sure. Here are my symptoms.

1.) It sounds like the engine has very little compression when trying to start and the flywheel doesn't turn continuously
2.)The engine spins without slipping when the glow plug is removed (using the roto start).
3.)After removing the back plate and cleaning the starting shaft and one way bearing, I can spin the engine by hand without slippage using the starting shaft.

Does this sound like a one-way bearing issue, I have about 1/2 gallon thru the engine since I bought the truck new? Is this the part I need? http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJYU6&P=7

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
The OWB is usually the problem with what your describing. A lot of people say, clean them but that doesn't help for long. I give up on trying to work with a bad OWB and just replace them.

With only a 1/2 gal on it I don't thinks its bad, I would clean it out with some carb cleaner or barrymens b12 then install back in dry do not oil it. It will get some oil on it form time due to oil come through the starter shaft. If it starts to slip again then the start shaft that comes through the back plate could be worn out or the shaft could be worn out. If not that you may have gotten a bad one way bearing. Mine has couple gallons in it and if it sits for a period of time it will slip when I first try and start it, if I just keep the roto on it and let it spin it will spin the oil off then kick it over.

Thanks for the help. I just remembered that when I bought my Roto Start from the local LHS, the guy said it would work with all Savages, but it didn't work with my .28. when I took it back, he took the starting shaft out of another car (I think it was a Revo) and put it into my Savage and it was compatible with the Roto Start. I wonder if the starting shaft from the Revo could be worn out?

I've had the same problem with my 4.6 I found out that if you take off the air filter then put a small amount of fuel in the carb then crank the engine then repeat it. then the engine should turn over properly

my problem too..........

Some of the owb's just wear out rediculously quick. I took it off and cleaned it and it one worked for a couple of tanks. From what I hear HPI is pretty responsive to the owb problems and a lot of people I know have had luck getting HPI to send out a new one (free) My savage is a little older, but you should have success with showing them the date of purchase on the receipt.

Sorry for the long post - hope everything works out for. Lemme know what HPI says.

hi there. i broke like 3 owb's before i used my first gallon of fuel. so i saw a vid on you tube showing a guy fix his owb by grinding a flat spot on his shaft then drilling a hole in a nut that fits over the shaft and inside the gear the owb fits into then puting a set screw into the nut tighten it to the shaft. totaly eleminates the owb and is a cheap but solid fix no more costly owb's i did it to mine works awesome now i do it to all my trucks as soon as i start getting probs with them .it really is easy and works awesome. ive even used the cracked owb in one it works. but if theres any of the set screw sitting above the nut you'll need to grind it down flush .i used my dremel with a cut off wheel. hope this helps alot of ppl out . saves you alot of money . owb around $16.00 1 nut around $.05 .good luck.

Latest posts

Members online

Back