Roto Start issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Beast

I had just finished installing some aftermarket parts from Nova R/C ( 3 shoe clutch, billet heat sink and billet cooling head). After I was finished I tried to turn the engine over with the roto start, and it would spin, but the engine would not, I then used a cordless drill in reverse and it would turn the engine over that way. I am just wondering what would cause the engine to not turn the right way , I didn't remove the roto start, and it seemed to work just fine the last time I used it. Any help would be appreciated, as I am new to this vehicle and am LOST right now.:confused:

The one way bearing might have been slipping and when you put the drill on it, that spun it fast enough to grab and spin over the motor. Also if the roto is not fully charged or weak battery it will not spin over the motor.

I agree with savagekicknmaxx. I would think if there was a full charge in roto start it should spin engine.
But the one way bearing on the engine housing may be on the way out. I had to change mine the first year I had the Savage because I would spin it for more than the recomended 5 seconds. It was the first time I owned a nitro vehicle and had a hard time tuning the engine.
One day it will work fine, the next time you use it , it may not work.

ell i have the original roto start and haven't had any probs with it with 2 gallons and working on the third.

I have snapped the shafts from the motor in the roto start off, and broken the buttons a few times, on the first gen.

Hey Beast! I have a Savage X, with a roto start. Its just gone 3 weeks old, and hey, I have had a HUGE problem with the one way bearing not locking on, and just slipping! I found that the shaft the bearing sits on was getting a bit oily. I spoke with an HPI dealer here in Auistralia. They think that maybe the O ring in the engine backing plate may be worn. They said not top replace the part, but to rough up the shaft with sand paper a bit. I tried that, but sand paper won't even mark the shaft! So, I used my dremel tool with a fine sand paper attachment to rough it up. It works!!! It locks on just fine now! You could try that. Just be careful to make sure that the shaft is roughed, not ground away. Hope this helps.

lol i think every 1 has had a prob with roto starts mine ive had for 6 months now and its still workin but 1 time it kept spinnin in the engine and not turning over and the button got stuck and i got anoyed and threw it...........ITWORKED hahaha i cudnt believe it now its fine except the few scraches but hey its part of a savage it shud go through the worst!!

My roto start 2 has had the button jam in too. I had to open it up to get the button to release. A friend of mine has one which jams up too. I think they must use cheap switches. Mines only done it once though, and other than that it works well. I like the trip feature if it becomes overloaded.

With the drill in reverse is it spinning the same direction as the Roto-Start? If it grabs when you turn it backwards it's on backwards. In any event first try cleaning it with a cleaner that doesn't have any lubricant, if that doesn't cure it you need a new one way bearing.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back