rocket powered savage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamskii

ok so i just found 3 model rocket motors (magnums, about 4 inches long and at least an inch thick). I have an itchy trigger finger as its been a while since i shot/blew anything up (retired from military service). My savage needs something extra..... so I'm thinking i might make a kind of tail fin or tail spoiler that i can mount the 3 rocket motors onto out of metal so doesnt melt the savvy.

they would be fired by electric charge and i figure if i get a 3 channel radio i could use the third channel (with the right handset) as a trigger. So I'm thinking of heading out to where they do the drag races and using that lovely big straight with the sticky ground as the test bed.

I have already mounted a video camera to my car and have several good tapes of live on board bashing, unfortunately do not have software or hardware to convert to a computer (will soon enough though.... come on santa!!) lol. so if i could get up to my top speed, which with a 2 speed is about 62kph at the moment (leaned) then fire the motors.. i reckon it would all go either:

A- BOOM! and no more savage...
B- fizzle pop and just flames n smoke but no increase in speed..
C- KABOOOOOOOOOOOOOM and get approx 14 seconds of burn time and some niice speed burst!

each motor has 18 pounds of thrust, so potentially 54 pounds of thrust, which might be about 4.5 times what the motor does now.

will be my very own mythbusters like thingy lol..

anyone got any thoughts i should consider before trying this ?

adoomskii kaboom

I can`t wait to see vids of that!!
:hardlaugh: :hardlaugh:
don`t you think the engine will over-rev?
if it`s running at full speed and you fire those rockets I think your engine will be pushed beyond all possible rpm limits.

maybe if you got an old rolling off-road chassis of any type maybe it`s an idea to build in receiver + servo`s, increase weight to match the weight of your savvy, strap those rockets on and fire them, see what happens before you blow your precious savvy to kin**om come.
you also might want to place the added weight to the front a bit to keep the nose down or NASA will have to retrieve your car from orbit.

Last edited by a moderator:
ive seen it done before to a stadium truck i think, didnt do muc don't worry about blowing ur savage just sheid off engine/tank

I cant wait to see it either man. In my opinion id make an aluminum housing to hold the engines and maybe protect the truck from melting down. But anyways good luck and keep us posted!!

I have shot one of my sons toy trucks down the road awhile back when i was into the whole rocket thing. It wasnt heavy enough the first time so it just done cart wheels once it hit a little bump. So i tried a heavier truck with bigger engine and wow the engine melted the zip ties and then melted into the truck. LOL:fireblob:

Use an RC Solutions cage or something similar that bolts to the chasis for the equal distribution, then just find a metal cylinder(any scrap metal shop or yard) to place the motor in. Braze the Cylinder to your cage or chasis mount, and you're done. I would go with a dual motor setup. For better results, I would find a roller truck(no tranny or motor) so there's less weight to propel. But leave in the electronics for the steering and ignition system.

Can you provide a link to the camera system your using, for everything(camera, transmitter, receiver). Is it a bundle system or did you have to buy the camera/trans in one place and the receiver somewhere else?

heres what i have so far

I will post a photo tomorrow (australian time) as its 1 am here. I have a roll cage, nothing flash but its going to be fine none the less..

The video camera is a panasonic palm corder. I made a bracket using the metal folder at work out of a spare diff / bulkhead plate, that bolts onto the side of the car using the tranny bolts. that way the camera is protected by the wheels, keeps centre of gravity low, was able to compensate the weight offset with springs, etc etc.. wait till ya see the pics.

The rockets i will mount in a sleeve of some kind, and braze them too the cage as suggested. i will install a wheelie bar too and probably use this as an excuse to put the 3 speed in for maximum velocity prior to firing. I'll keep the motor and tranny in I think.. as the tranny has a one way bearing that wont allow a powerdrive back into the motor. I do have a whole second spare rolling chassis, almost complete except for motor and radio gear thanks to multiple ebay purchases as spares, ive built a second truck!

keep suggestions coming as its all good..

rocket proppelled savvy?? this i gotta see!!

working on it now

have the motor mount almost finished, some welding yet to do. the 3 channel radio is on its way and i have to modify it for a safety switch for the firing electronics, don't wanna go to throttle on or stear and end up firing rockets prematurely. have applied to local council for permit to use rockets.

so things are happening, just going to take time.
I expect to lauch in about 3 weeks.

regards adam.

you absolutely MUST get video of this...it's a moral imperative!!!

Are these model rocket engines? or something more powerful? I mean if you need permission to fire these, I really want to see this rig before, during and after the flight/experiment...!

Heck if you're using model rocket engines.. use the biggest baddest E sized engines, with the longest burn cycle. Good luck!

I was wondering right after you fire the rockets if you should let off the throttle and if you go so fast if it wouldnt start to melt plastic gears spur, trans.

if I'm not mistaken, it doesn't work that way...when the turning force is coming from the engine, the clutch shoes grip, but if the transmission/spur gear is turning faster than the clutch bell, the clutch shoes should slip, and not cause any extra wear and tear on the spur...

working on it ..

i have magnum model rocket engines, size D. will get the numbers if u like but basically, 11 - 12 seconds burn time, 40 odd pounds of thrust culmitively, electric ignition, single use only.

the reason for council permission is there is like a drought here and total fire ban and anything remotely fire ish will get u in ****loads truble without council approval. have to have local fire station on notice etc etc.

also i want/need permit to use pyrotechnics (australian laws class rocket motors as pyrotechnics) on a race track. I want to use the dragstrip not far from here, the real one where topy fuelers go. they said i would need the permits for insurance etc. also, its not costing much !

regards

adam

as previoulsy posted. you gotta post pics of construction and a vid, man! i'd advise a bit of weight over the front, or in front of the sav, unless you are mounting the motors below the rear axle line. also with regard to over revving, wouldn't the one way bearing in the box allow the gearbox speed to increase in relation speed, like a freewheel on a bike? :newb:

cant wait to see this should be awsome get vids posted a.s.a.p they are a bit strict where you are no rules like that ere could'nt wait for all the red tape
good luck with it anyway

'locking' is what admin people of a site do, basically a locked thread is literally that, you can't get in to post, and with some webhosting companies, you can't even view. i'm guessin it's due to being irresponsible, but dunno-hardly seems worth bothering about in all honesty, he was going through all the right channels and doing it legally, by applying for a permit, etc-so i don't know wtf the problem is/was... my 2c

seemes kinda fake to me, but maybe its not, i think in another thread he said it was stolen.... hmmm..... sounds like somebody is just wasteing yalls time, but i don't know, could be the honest truth and it could be a lie

Hell, I'll go buy some model rockets and try this with my savage.....I don't need no stinking permits, hehehe. Who wants to pick up my medical bill, lol.

Latest posts

Members online

Back