Robinson Racing Spur Gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rex_hvn

luv RC but my wallet don't
hi guys

I have just gotten myself a robinson racing spur gear one on the big thick heavy ones i cant remember how many tooth but it is only 1 or 2 more teeth than standard and i put it onto my truck and then i went bashing with some mates and one of my mates said that i will have to change the clutch bell because it isnt the right hardness if that makes any sense. At the moment i am running an almost stock savage X SS and i have also been told that the racing clutch bell on the savage x SS is right but before i stuff my new $30 spur can you pls help me

thanx Rex_hvn

yep your buddies are right . You need a hardened clutch bell..
were you having problems w/ you spur gear stripping ?

Robinson Racing Makes A Great Clutch Bell To Work With The Spur, I've Heard They Will Take Alot Of Abuse From High Powered Engines!

Ya Actually That Makes Sense I Guess

I'm Trying To Stick With Stock As Much As Possible Well Until I Start Breaking Things

hell i have the K4.6 so it has heaps of power but the metal spur striffed bcoz a stone got in there so then to keep costs down i got a plastic one and it stripped in no time so then i got the robinson racing one i diddnt think that i had to change the clutch bell because it is already the racing one that come standard with the SS

Thanx guys you are so helpfull

-

Wow... Not one comment on the dangers of a steel CB/spur combo...

Just incase anyone here hasn't heard,... The Robinson, and all other steel Combo's need to be
considered with certain amount of caution before you install.

Why?.... Because you need to be comfortable about setting your mesh, for one.

Second...You need to be aware of what can happen to the drivetrain if the motor plate cracks
from a big jump or something.

The same strength that we want out of the steel setup is the same strength that can break a
motor, bend a crankshaft, bust a tranny, or both.

Not to mention all the other parts involved in the CB/spur assembly.

In a nutshell,... Considered as a high risk factor, based on the big cost of potential damage.

The standard spur gear serves as your first line of deffense against this issue by providing
itself as the weakest link in the drivetrain..

Just a thought, guys.

-

Last edited by a moderator:
i didnt mention anything because to tell u the truth i didnt know that doob!! lol i still have the stock clutch bell and spur on my sav x (15-49 t) so i don't know alot about it other then i've heard that the robinson racing setup is nice!

Yea... There are benifits to the steel combo.
I consider the steel combo more of a racing setup that insures the prevention of melting teeth, ect.

the stock cb in the savage 4.6x ss IS the hardened vented cb.. so it doesnt need to be changed. as the stock combo is ALREADY METAL, you are not changing anything other than manufacturer of parts... and not deviating from the engineered intention of materials used in its design. Furthermore.. the stock metal spur gear is kinda crappy, they advertise it as having the hpi spur gear we all know, buts a cheaper version so upgrading is smart. There is no risk in changing brand to robinson and leaving the4.6 x ss standard cb.

As for higher rotational mass.... granted thats a limiting factor for due consideration... but only if your race tuning. bashing wont make a difference i wouldnt think. also if your bashing, a big thick gear is probably a benefit.

good luck ....

adamskii

Latest posts

Members online

Back