ringing sound coming from spur gear and clutch bell

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

measy116

so on a bashing session last week, i hit a huge jump (bout 16 ft) but landed on its roof...it knocked the drivetrain out off alignment and cracked the engine mount. the spur gear sustained no damage. the clutch bell had very slight damage (1 tooth was very slightly chipped) i replaced the mount with a hd one but kept the same clutch bell. i put everything together with proper mesh and when i ran, it ran fine. when the truck shut off and i finished the run i noticed when i moved the truck back and forth there would be a ringing sound coming from the spur gear n clutch bell area. also, when i rolled the truck in reverse it would get stuck as if something was caught in the drivetrain. could this be due to that one chipped tooth on the clutch bell? ill try to get pics up asap. appreciate the help.

I assume your running a steel spur? If so the ringing sound might be that the mesh is too loose

Steel spur gear? If so, they will have a "ring" to them even if adjusted right. And yes, if you chipped a tooth it will be more prononced - but prpbably won't cause you problems.

If it is steel, be sure you are running a hardened bell!!

Last edited by a moderator:
yes...it is a steel spur gear. what does it mean when it locks up when i roll it in reverse?

Check your clutch shoes .. you might have a spring broke

What brakes are you running? The ss brakes used to jingle like santa claus when I had them. Most likely the cb/spur though.

i actually just put on a set of steel brakes... could that be the source of the ringing? but that doesnt explain why the wheels lock up when i roll it in reverse

i found the problem, the new brake disks i put on were catching on the gear bell...i tried to tighten the screws holding them down but theyre not giving me that much clearance...any suggestions?

Silly question, but if it is the dual SS brakes - Are they installed as follows:

Metal shoe - !
Fiber pad - [
Metal Disc - |
Metal shoe - !
Metal Disc -|
Fiber Pad - ]
Metal Shoe - !

Like this - ! [ | ! | ] !

Well, I guess all I can tell you then is to not roll it backwards on the bench while it isn't running!

Sorry fella! Everything else sounds normal.

Check to make sure the clutch bell is not hitting the brakes. If you have contact the bell will lose its black color where it hits and pruduce that ring sound. Look at the last 1/8 to 1/16 of a inch of it for hints of silver. Also look at the disks they will blunt over at their outer edge. If this is the problem with the ringing noise replace the motor plate as you bent it. Good luck.

Measy116
I would have answered you on the PM but If we post it in threads the Info is here for the next guy that has the same problem.

Your PM said, "what do you mean by bending the motor back? the disk brakes are hitting the clutch bell and creating that silver ring. how do i remedy this?"

You can not bend the motor back.. Replace the motor plate and also check the motor mount itself. I willing to bet you bent them both! Sorry for the bad news Good Luck! ~Justin~

it wasnt bent at all, i just changed out the screws that were holding the brake pads and disks to shorter ones and it allieviated the problem...thanks for the help

and they fit???? are the pads still there or did the blunted edge cut out the pad on you? Id look at that again. Any thing less than the stock screws with "GOOD" pads and my brakes will lock up. So idk what you got over there....

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Back