Review: HPI Savage Suspension Conversion Kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lifter37

HPI Racing
www.hpiracing.com
part# 87245
price $235.00
Review written by Lifter37
87245_02x.jpg

The suspension kit(part# 87245) is made up of high quality parts and very nice anodizing and of coarse is purple. It consists of aluminum spindle carriers, aluminum spindles, rear hub carriers, new aluminum upper arm braces, adjustable upper arm sets, all hardware, tools and even locktite. Here is the kit.
hpisusp.build010.jpg

Here is a pic of the stock carrier assembly
hpisusp.build008.jpg

Instructions:
very easy to read and very easy to understand with lots of illustrations.
Installation:
For the most part the install was pretty easy. Pull the shocks and then pull your carriers. The axle and bearings will pop right out. The carriers and spindles go back together with ease.
As for the upper control arms there is some modifications. You have to pull the front of the diff housing off and do some milling to fit the new upper arm braces. They are a whole lot beefier, thicker and longer. I used a Rotozip but can also use a Dremel or maybe even a drill with a cutting bit. I thought it was going to be a chore, but ended up being a lot easier than I thought. The instruction illustrations showed the exact amount to take out and even tells how many millimeters to cut.
Here are some pics of the finished diff housings.

hpisusp.build011-1.jpg

Now before putting the upper control arms on you need to mill the back of the shock tower where the upper control arm pins go through in order for the upper control arm to fit properly.
Now on the front, you can only run single shocks because you have to cut the rear shock eye off the lower control arm in order to get full swing of the steering.
Pic of the milling on the lower control arm.
hpisusp.build013-1.jpg

I went ahead and incorporated a set of HPI titanium turnbuckles part #93585
Price $22.00
93585_01s.jpg

The turnbuckles are made of titanium and are very light. They are a whole lot stronger than the stock turnbuckles. The last thing you want when racing or bashing is to break a turnbuckle and lose steering. To me they are extra security and while racing or bashing, you want all the security you can get. Definitely a plus for the savage. Here are a couple of pics.
hpisuspbuild016.jpg

hpisuspbuild017.jpg

I have also incorporated the HPI steering upgrade kit part #B045
Price $15.00
b045_01s.jpg

HPI has made a nice steering upgrade kit (part# B045) which consists of 4 metal shielded ball bearings 6x10x3mm. They take the place of 4 nylon bushings on the steering servo saver set. I did the test on my savage 4.6 RTR which is fairly new. When I took the bushings out, one of them had already cut a bevel on the outside edge. This was the cause of my steering to fade when I turned to the left. When I put the new bearings in, it was like night and day. I could turn the wheels a lot easier than before with a lot less drag. I would think it would also save on the life of your steering servo. When racing or bashing, you definitely want good steering response. For the price, I would have to say it is probably dollar for dollar one of the best upgrades you can get.
hpisusp.build006-1.jpg

As far as the front shocks go, I took and put some 40 wt. oil in and still had to run two spring spacers to get it up to ride height.
Took it out to test at the track, which with the single shocks it seemed to work fine, jumped great, landed great. If you are a basher, I would definitely upgrade the shocks, simply with that heavy weight oil and the single shock setup and big jumps, you would probably see a lot of bent shafts.

Here is the finished setup.
hpisusp.build014.jpg

hpisusp.build002.jpg

These pics show the stance and height of the truck ready to race.
hpisuspbuild021.jpg

hpisuspbuild022.jpg

hpisuspbuild020.jpg

These pics show the camber of the truck
hpisuspbuild019.jpg

hpisuspbuild018.jpg

OK guys, I had a great day at the track yesterday. The suspension kit that I tested was awesome. The camber adjustments on the spindle carriers and the rear hub carriers allowed me to bring the top of tires in, which helped me take every turn with authority. When is the last time you seen a savage slide around in the grass? I had about three hours of run time on my savage racer yesterday. My savage turned on a dime. It was a completely different handling truck than the week before. The kit is definitely a must have if you are going to build a serious racing savage. The stock shocks really impressed me the way they held up on the track yesterday. They did a great job on soaking up every jump I threw at them. Here is a vid of me at the track with the suspension kit. mind you, I am still learning to drive. Sorry a little short, siezed a clutchbell bearing.

Last edited by a moderator:
loooks good, did you have any issues with the bearings fitting into the races?

Doobee had issues with the integy set he tested with the bearings fitting too tight.

I wonder why hpi didn't address the problems.. really can't be called a bolt on.. REALLY sucks that you can only run one shock.. that not going to help hpi sell this kit IMO... thanks for telling us about the parts lifter

Hey crash, the bearings fit like a glove, you had to go perfectly straight in with them or they would not go, perfect fit I would say.

The Fact You Can Only Run 1 Shock And Have To Cut That Section Away Is Enough To Keep Me From Purchaseing The Kit. Thanks For The Review Lifter

yeah, I am thinking integy MSR8 or losi lst shock set up, looking for the best shock for my race savage, what do you guys think?

Definitely made for racing. I am sure with a good set of shocks she is going to be a nice race truck. It already handles great.

nice job! i like that engine !
4x4

Thanks 4x4, know your engines, huh. Goes great with the racing side of nitro.

I have a short video of the susp. kit at the bottom of my review. Just getting warmed up and broke a clutch spring. I am working on getting better quality video.

Good review, I wouldn't mind getting it but a $235 price is a little on the steep side especially when I need a set of TVP's.

Anyways thanks for the review.

134.00, nice find crash. That is an awesome price. Definitely worth it, I love mine. It really is a great upgrade. I am getting ready to get another 4.6 rtr and hope I can find that deal for my next savy.

thanks

Its probably not what HPI wants to see when they give us parts to review.

they would prefer that we buy from them I geuss.

I'll tell ya, I agree with you but after running the susp. kit, if you are going to make a savy into a racer its definitely worth the money if you have it. But also a deal is a deal, right.

well does anyone buy directly from hpi?......i doubt it....... the ebay item is the actual hpi kit.... I'm sure it originated from hpi....so I'm sure as far as hpi is concerned its just like one would have purchased this kit from their local hobby shop or any other seller of hpi products... be it local retail ,online, or ebay

You got a point there big worm. Does anybody else run this kit. If so, I would like to know how you like it and how you have it set up.

I race with lifter every weekend and I think the suspension kit is sweet. Definatly handles better than stock. I cant touch him when it comes to cornering or landing a jump.I would seriously buy the kit if you want to get the upper hand racing on a track.Looks sweet too.

Hey guys, thanks. I have 4 hot bodies shocks coming from chunky monkey (thanks) to put on my savage. I am going to start with 40wt. oil to see how it handles. From there, I should be able to tell which way to go with the weight. I will keep everyone updated to how the shocks work with the susp. kit. Definitely should be able to fine tune them compared to the stock shocks with only spring spacers.

OK, got some more pics on my review of the ready to race stance and pics of the cambered tires. let me know what you think. This thing is just sick on the track.

Looks great nice review lifter. Now if you could only learn to drive it, Maybe you could do a review on training wheels next.lol. No worries bud I cannot drive either, I just have Three trucks to break per session.lol

hey sami, I will have to talk to mega on that. will see if he can get me a set ASAP. If I only had auto pilot though, I would not need the training wheels.

Lifter I know this thread has be dead for a bit but I was wondering how you made out with the shocks? I also run this kit and did a review on HPI's site about it.(justin11275) I did allot of playing with stock shocks progressive springs and oil wt. I need to also update my thread about it. I settled on the lst 2 out front in the end. But found a few combo's that worked well before the switch. I will back you 100% about this kit. With this and not many other mods it made this truck a force to be reckoned with at the track. Much better roll center is where it shines not just the far improved steering, IMO.
Toss a update. Id love to hear more about what you have found. Get the track skills up yet? Not that that looks like a maintained track by far, but race where you can...

Hey bankrupter, I have had the suspension kit for at least 6 months now.

Never once have I had a problem with it. I would say bullet proof. As far as

the shocks, I actually went with nova shock towers which are great by the

way and four back sportwerks mayhem st truggy shocks. They really work

well with the susp. kit. I can really tear the track up as far as handling and

jumping. I really abuse the savage everytime out along with everything else I

run. The shocks feel really plush and give the savage a truggy feel. As far as

camber adjutments on the susp. kit, It is definitely a plus in turning. My

opinion is if your going to be racing a savage hardcore, its definitely worth

the money in investing in the HPI suspension kit.

Latest posts

Members online

Back