replacement pull start string

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

f1n3sse

I purchased a replacement pull start string from ebay tonight, cost me 1.50 for the string and 2 to ship. then I did some research and found out that the pullstart string specs call for 2mm double braided nylon string. I googled it and found a company that offers it in bulk. http://www.gpjrope.com/ropespecs.htm

I have an email in to them for pricing on 500ft of it and to see if they have a glazed version of it to resist the nitro fuel that makes it way into your pullstarter. I will update this when I get an answer from them for anyone who is interested in getting some bulk pullstart rope. I know I hate buying a $16 pullstart plus 5 to ship because of a broken string or whatever the case, as long as the knot doesnt pull through the plastic spooler you can rebuild these things over and over again.

Some of that big lilke 200lb test braided tuna line maybe? That was the idea I came up with the other day. Haven't ever tried it though.

200lb tuna line is 1.5mm, it may work. The pull starters take 2mm double braided nylon rope. this thread is just to provide you with the site, and pricing to come, if you would like to purchase the correct line to re-string your ps. let me know how that fishing line works out for you, it may be a good idea, test it out and lmk

Last edited by a moderator:
That is just too funny, I just threw a number out there. I didn't research the size or anything. Guess I am just lucky like that. I did just look up some that was only .7 mm thick 200lb. You could go up to like 500lb and still be good on the size. If you break that you would be ripping the pullstart off I would think.

Hello folks been a long time since I used these forums Used to be a regular

I used to make pull start string from the highest test Spider wire fishing line the stuff is braided and vertualy unbreakable I think it was 50 lb test. I used to use from 6-8 strands and have my daughter braid the strands to make a rope. Give it a try I have never broken one made from spider wire.

Doom

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello folks been a long time since I used these forums Used to be a regular

I used to make pull start string from the highest test Spider wire fishing line the stuff is braided and vertualy unbreakable I think it was 50 lb test. I used to use from 6-8 strands and have my daughter braid the strands to make a rope. Give it a try I have never broken one made from spider wire.

Doom

spider wire eats the eyelets out of my fishing rods, no way I'm going to use it in my ps. no offense use what works for you.

I have Ti guides on my rods never had a problem with that. Spider wire does recomend using special rods,reels and guides the line requires very strong materials to withstand the line. I pull the pull start in short strokes so never had a problem with it there. I do understand your concern tho. Another thing to remember is that once that line is braided into a rope the diameter makes it harder to cut materials then in single strand form.

Doom

i seen a post on one of these sites suggesting window blind string. i have used this ever since. no problems.

well were on the subject of fishing line just a thought that came to mind. what about using the line on fly rods. not the thin stuff for floating but the actual covered line that rolls up in the real anyone tried anything like that?

Members online

Back