Removing tires?????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasguy

I just bought a used truck with Badlands on it. I love the tires so far but I want offset rims. Can I remove the tires without ruining them, if so how? Thank you in advance.

Boiling them works but you will end up with some sore hands and a stinking house. I did it not so long ago and I swore I would never do it again. Patience and aliitle pain tolerance are all that is involved lol

I was talking to a guy at a track a few weeks back. We both have used acetone to remove but he said he would leave the tires and wheels in a bucket for a day submerged and they will come right off. I have boiled also and it will stink your kitchen up something fierce like Dragin said. I asked this dude if he has ever ruined a set of tires and wheels leaving them in chemicals so long and he said no, I believe him he has been in the hobby for many years.

:duh: Wish I would have known that before I was boiling tires all nite lol
I think I would have gone that route.

I bake them in the oven or use a heat gun. The heat gun usually melts the rim some, but Thats usually the reason I,m removing the tire. The oven will stink up the house also, but no messy water to deal with. Put them on a sheet in cold oven. Usually when the oven gets to temp (350) theyre ready. If not just check them every 5 min or so.

yup...acetone will not harm the tires...it may damage the rims, but sounds like you're not fond of the rims anyway...

I do the boil method. I have a big lobster pot that will do a set of 4 at a time. I don't know what the smell comments are about. As this does not stink. I know the oven method does! I leave them in for a hour weighted down with a fry pan and a granite rolling pin lol.

As for Acetone:

It's not cheep, evaporates fast, Plus will dissolve rubber and plastic! Most people think nail polish remover when thinking of this. It is a thinner for epoxy and polyester resin. It is unsafe for any plastics. It will ruin vinyl flooring if it gets splashed lol explain that to the wife...

To the disbelievers-Stand over the sink pour it into a disposable plastic cup count to ten the bottom will fall out of the cup before you hit 6. Or put you body in a bucket of it and watch it melt b4 your eyes... How are your rims doing? I have also used it to dissolve stuck rubber O ring's out of hydraulic fittings.
This is not nice stuff and also poses health risks. So I would not recommend acetone for any use in this hobby.

Thank you for the quick responses, I am still in the middle of doing the boil method. I have 2 done, it works good but my hand kill! It's worth it though to save 60 to 75 bucks. Thank you guys again for the help.

I have done the boil method the biggest pain in the a$$ but worth it.My wife was ****ed.

i bake em 30 mins 350* done deal put on my gloves,the boiling takes forever an uses a massive amount of power,i want to try the acetone tho that sounds interesting

Latest posts

Members online

Back