Removing Lug Nuts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derekpike

First off let me start out by saying that as new as I am to RC, I'm not going to use the correct terminology for everything. I think you'll be able to grasp what I'm saying though. Feel free to tell me the actual name for these items though.

I bought a Savage 25 used. I noticed that one of the front dogbones (a term I actually know) was missing. So I tried to remove the wheels to tear it down to put one in. The #@$!%$ I bought this from didn't put any hexes behind the rims and I think he just used lock nuts to put them on. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get them off? Both the front left (one missing the dogbone) and the back left are set up this way. I'd ultimately like to get both off and correct this. On the back one I tried vice grips to the dogbone, but didn't have any luck. I tried putting a screwdriver in the front one where the dogbone goes into (not sure what it's called). No luck.

I'm at a loss. I'm to the point where I'm about to take a sawzall to the rims so I can get in there to grab something to get these nuts loose. I'm not sure if there is a way to take it apart with the rim still on there. Is there any way I can remove the "lug bolt" (not sure the term) piece with the wheel still on and work on it that way?

Sorry to ramble on, just frustrated and at a loss. Any help is appreciated.

Impact gun?
Dremel tool
cold chisel

We (I took it to my mechanic for help) tried a mini impact gun that was battery powered. We didn't try a full blown pneumatic impact. I haven't tried a dremel, and I'm not even sure what a cold chisel is. I'm familiar with a chisel, just not sure what that cold refers to.

Does the hub spin in the wheel? I have a cordless impact I'm pretty sure would get it off. A cold chisel can split nuts. It is harder for metal cutting. Dremel with a abrasive cut off wheel.

Does the hub spin in the wheel? I have a cordless impact I'm pretty sure would get it off. A cold chisel can split nuts. It is harder for metal cutting. Dremel with a abrasive cut off wheel.

I'm pretty sure the hub spins. That's why I can't break the nut loose. I'm not sure how to keep the hub from spinning on the front tire. On the back one, I tried using vice grips on the dog bone, but couldn't grip it tight enough to keep the hub from spinning. I tried both with the small battery impact.

Are you sure your turning the nut in the right direction? Are both nuts on the same side of the truck? If so you are probably actually tightening them instead of loosening, if I remember correctly one side has left hand threads and the other side has right handed threads.

Are you sure your turning the nut in the right direction? Are both nuts on the same side of the truck? If so you are probably actually tightening them instead of loosening, if I remember correctly one side has left hand threads and the other side has right handed threads.
Yes, they are both on the "driver's" side. The "passenger" side were off when I got the truck and I put the hexes in on them. When I was using a ratchet on them, I tried both directions just in case. I just used lefty loosey with the impact.

I think my biggest problem is preventing the hub from spinning trying to break this nut loose.

it was worth a shot my want to get a drill and drill the axle stub so you can pop the rim off.
Then all I'll have to replace is the wheel hubs correct? I have a parts 25 that came with it. He had started stripping it down to convert to electric, so I have all the replacement parts no matter what route I go, but I don't want to just waste a bunch of parts hacking this thing to death.

My truck was originally a Savage 25, and I can confirm that that truck has left-hand-threaded nuts on the left side of the truck. The rule to remember is that turning the nut toward the front of the truck (the direction the wheel spins when you're driving forward) tightens it, and turning toward the back loosens it.

My truck was originally a Savage 25, and I can confirm that that truck has left-hand-threaded nuts on the left side of the truck. The rule to remember is that turning the nut toward the front of the truck (the direction the wheel spins when you're driving forward) tightens it, and turning toward the back loosens it.
Thanks. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

To make sure, look at the color of the cups on the axles that the dogbones fit into. The regular ones are black, and the left-hand-threaded ones are silver. Similarly, the nuts themselves are black for regular and silver for left-hand.

To make sure, look at the color of the cups on the axles that the dogbones fit into. The regular ones are black, and the left-hand-threaded ones are silver. Similarly, the nuts themselves are black for regular and silver for left-hand.
I know the nuts are silver. I think the cups are too. I'd have to look at it again though. I'm heading to a cookout right now.

If you disconnect one of the suspension arms and shock you can access the axle easily and use a large blade screwdriver to hold the axle then take off the nut as normal and call it good.....

If you disconnect one of the suspension arms and shock you can access the axle easily and use a large blade screwdriver to hold the axle then take off the nut as normal and call it good.....

Thanks @Jam Racing 1 I'll give that a shot when I have some time. Hopefully I'll have time tomorrow. Will that work front and back?

Cold chisel

Top: Bull point chisel
Bottom: Cold chisel
A cold chisel is a tool made of tempered steel used for cutting 'cold' metals, meaning that they are not used in conjunction with heating torches, forges, etc. Cold chisels are used to remove waste metal when a very smooth finish is not required or when the work cannot be done easily with other tools, such as a hacksaw, file, bench shears or power tools.

The name cold chisel comes from its use by blacksmiths to cut metal while it was cold as compared to other tools they used to cut hot metal. Because cold chisels are used to form metal, they have a less-acute angle to the sharp portion of the blade than a woodworking chisel. This gives the cutting edge greater strength at the expense of sharpness.

*Update* I really appreciate everyone's input on this. I've learned quite a bit in this little excursion. The guy who put these lug nuts on tightened them too tight and cracked the rims anyway. So I'm on the market for new rims and tires. Any suggestions?

This is the lug nut that was on the front. I'm not sure how well you can see, but it's round.

Attachments

• 20160523_175218.jpg
    20160523_175218.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Members online

Back