receiver hump pack (LiPo)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you have the RF-40 rx, it has a fail safe built in,
The built in fail safe becomes useless in the event of a dead or disconnected battery. The throttle return spring is a must in my opinion. In addition KillerRC.com sells a nitro kill switch that stops the flow of fuel in the event of loosing signal or dead battery as well as temp kill and ability to remote kill the engine via a third channel.

Fail safes aside you could also get a battery buzzer to use while you drive and will alarm you when voltage drops to a certain level. I have a couple myself and the alarms on them are pretty darn loud so you shouldn't have any problem hearing them.

Totally, I just meant in this scenario it may trigger the fail safe, the receiver wouldn't lose power completely, at least until total cut-off as the pack would always have 6+ volts.

When the regulator drops the voltage down to 3.7V, that could affect radio signal and trigger the fail safe, or it would just act like depleted batteries of the past. I would hope the user would notice in the 3 minutes of low voltage haha.

I like the sound of the low voltage buzzer, I've been in hobby for somewhere around 15 years, and I've never seen one! haha I think I've heard of rx or esc's with them.
What ones do you use @WoodiE ?

What ones do you use @WoodiE ?
Use the link I posted above and they look like this:

$_57.JPG

You can get them pretty cheap from Hong Kong but they tend to take a while for delivery.

Haha my mistake, I missed the link.

Ive seen these on Amazon and what not, it never dawned on me that one could be installed and used as a on-board voltage alarm/meter.

Thank you sir.

I thought about getting one of those but decided to get the dynamite one instead.

The one woodie linked is just a checker/alarm, the dynamite unit you purchased is different.

This could be used in-addition to your regulator if one was so inclined for added protection.

Well see I've already spent over 150 bucks and still haven't driven it yet...lol man this hobby is expensive :D you want to do something new and cost ya an arm and a leg..lol

You are good to go. If that regulator does what's advertised the low voltage will be an blatant indicator.

We were just discussing a potential golden toilet seat.

I feel ya, starts with one item, ships out with five haha. :greedy: Thinking about utilizing Towers 3 month easy pay option on a new engine, banking on the missus assuming its fuel and what not. . .ssshhh;)

Well see I've already spent over 150 bucks and still haven't driven it yet...lol man this hobby is expensive :D you want to do something new and cost ya an arm and a leg..lol

Normal. At one point on this site I had a signature where I said "I could have bought several more savages for the money I've put into just this one".

Yes the buzzer alarm will only alert you when voltage drops below a certain amount. The regulator like the Dynamite is still needed. The alarm I use is actually pretty popular among the flying guys as an indication for them to land before they have a fly away.

If your using a LiPo anywhere I would put a LiPo Alarm as it's a perfect way to tell when the LiPo is running out of juice preventing LiPo damage. Unless you use telemetry then you can get read-outs on your TX or if you fly muti rotors, on screen.
One thing I have learnt...(don't ask why) is to have a good connector between the Rx pack and Rx as well as a secure area to ensure that connector won't come loose, wires get cut or pack fall out. A Failsafe won't help when power is suddenly cut off but the pack falling out and the connector pops loose. I even ensure my ON/Off switch is protected from wetness and the wire solder points blobbed with Hot Glue or Epoxy to prevent them coming loose.
I've ordered the Killer RC Nitro Kill Switch which is probably the only product I have seen to prevent a runaway when power is suddenly cut off. Works so much better then the throttle return spring too. The spring can in the long run loose it's pull and depending on how you put it, not always close the carb. Lost of reception either way, Tx losing power or weak Rx battery will engage the Failsafe on the Rx. But sudden cut of power doesn't. Happened on my buggy once when the pack fell out!!! Thankfully there was a drain and I got to it in time before the engine could heat up and spur gear get trashed!
The NItro Kill Switch seems to have a gland like valve which shuts off Fuel supply to the engine and works when there is no current as well.
On a Gassers its a case of stopping power to the spark plug...spark plug no power, no combustion, engine stops running. With a nitro Glow engine..the only way is to shut either the carb or fuel.

Just my 2c!

Latest posts

Members online

Back