Rear Wheel Drive savage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharkattack99

is it ok to drive my savage in rear wheel drive only? cause i broke the front diff and cant afford to get it fixed yet so i was hope i could drive it in two wheel drive with out damaging anything is it cool I'm sure control would worse and what not. or should i just wait till i can get parts?

shark

I would think it would be OK - I would take the entire diff out, disconnect the front center dogbone, and you SHOULD be good I would think. No center diff, will prolly handle like crap tho :)

Bob

Ive run mine front and rear drive due to failures and it holds up fine. Does run like poop though!

post up the parts you need in the wanted section and you may find someone with them willing to part with them on the cheap.

thanks guys yeah i will be going to 4 wheel drive again its just temperary till i get the parts i need, thats a good idea pope i will do that thanks.

I run one of mine rear wheel drive only due to it eats front diffs cause of the weight of it breaking sucks on it. I'm sure you all know what truck I'm talking bout lol. It don't hurt it but it was pointed out to take the front drive line out. Good point there. I don't run drive lines at all on the front of my iron maiden truck. I got used to how it handles two wheel drive. Don't stop to easy. But turns on a dime when you break then wot power sliding it. You'll want 4wd back. But its safe running rear wheel only.

what diffs you running? and are you just looking for a pinion?

I personally love two wheel drive or (rear wheel) to be sure.
Lose the front driveshaft but keep the front diff which helps in keeping the balance the the truck and also helps slightly in dropping the nose of the truck
while landing jumps.

Just like the real-life steering behavior the truck handles like. Power burnouts,
fishtail stunts, power slides, real doughnut paterns....Just plain fun.

So I'm getting the bullet proof diffs this week and some diff oil to go in my diffs how full do u fill them? And how do u know if u have a good mess I mean what's a good indicater that ur mesh is good? If it can be explained that is?

The BP diffs do not need to be shimmed as tightly as the other types. The teeth mesh together much farther which makes them a bit more forgiving as far as getting stripped out is concerned. I shimmed mine to the specs in the instructions and they were too tight, I had to remove a shim to get a bit more play. I was getting a ratcheting/clicking type of noise when I would roll the truck (pinion/ring gears meshed too tightly together). I'm sure, it would have been fine if I had removed another one, or two even, since these diffs have such deep teeth.

As far as filling them goes I think you fill them up to the top of the shafts connecting the spider gears. I have never done it though so hopefully someone else will chime in on this. I just used the included grease that came with them instead of diff oil since I just bash and jump. I've done other mods to increase my steering/handling, I'm happy with the way it handles as is.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back