Rear exhaust?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daver

Has anyone tried running the exhaust out the back of the nitro XL? I can "invent" something but thought I'd see if others attempted first. I've seen someone use copper pipe and solder a set up together. I'm thinking of using a rubber boot off the factory exhaust tip so I don't affect the tuned pipe and just run a low restriction pipe to the rear.

Thoughts?

Not used one cos always read that they were more for show with a negative effect on performance and they are vulnerable on rear landings.

Misunderstood thought you meant rear pipe. Any extension on end of pipe will usually have negative impact on performance.

I've heard that... Figured I'd see if anybody has been successful with minimal power loss

Thanks

Well, my father always said, "Don't believe anything you hear and only believe half of what you see."

I decided to make the rear exhaust extension anyway. I think it looks cool. I'm going to run it and see how it goes. The ID is larger than the factory pipe so I'm hoping to not create much back pressure. I don't race it, just run around for fun so I think I'll be happy with the smoke coming out the back.

It was a lot of cutting / soldering but it doesn't look too ghetto

Attachments

• IMG_1785.jpg
    IMG_1785.jpg
    438.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1786.jpg
    IMG_1786.jpg
    497.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1787.jpg
    IMG_1787.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 30
Well, my father always said, "Don't believe anything you hear and only believe half of what you see."

I decided to make the rear exhaust extension anyway. I think it looks cool. I'm going to run it and see how it goes. The ID is larger than the factory pipe so I'm hoping to not create much back pressure. I don't race it, just run around for fun so I think I'll be happy with the smoke coming out the back.

It was a lot of cutting / soldering but it doesn't look too ghetto

Thats cool but its gonna completely change how it runs just letting you now.

Thats cool but its gonna completely change how it runs just letting you now.

Agreed.

Also, one good hit to the rear bumper and you will destroy it. Looks great though, hopefully it works better than we think.

Yes be interested how it performs with that extension pipe, just one point won’t it get gunked up with nitro in the low point of exhaust where it first joins main pipe & dips down before rising up?

I ran it yesterday. It took off, seemed normal, then I blew the rear diff so it's on the bench until new parts arrive. It's actually the 2 bearings that carry the diff & the bevel drive gear. The bearings were bad, which allowed the diff to drift out-of-line and broke 4 teeth off the drive gear

I was thinking of drilling a hole at that low point and putting in a screw that I could back out the last minute of running to blow it out.

Parts will probably arrive slower than normal so I'll have to wait to run it again.

I may 1st try to drill a tiny (1/16") hole at the lowest point to hopefully help allow oil to clear out. Most of it seemed to blow out the back. I'd really like to keep most of the splooge off the right rear if I can. The exhaust velocity should keep it fairly clear until I slow down allowing the small hole to let it drip and not blow all over the tire.

OK, I got it all put back together today. I decided the painted finish on the pipe was not holding up well (the fuel & oil were melting the paint) so I cleaned off all the paint and polished the copper. I know it won't stay that shiny but it will tarnish slower polished.

Anyway, i ran it and honestly? I can't tell any loss in performance. It still wheelies and takes off as quick as ever. Granted, I don't race it, I just have fun with it and I love the smoke blowing out the back. Maybe the large ID (3/8") and the fairly streamlined run out the back don't cause enough back pressure to have much impact.

It seems almost all the exhaust oil blows out the back while running. When I shut it down & let it sit, I stood it up on end to let any oil run out the back and I only got 5 small drops so I'm not going to drill a relief hole at the low point. I think that would allow oil to blow a little and the whole point of this was to get the oil away from the truck

I'm happy with the results

Attachments

• IMG_1830.jpg
    IMG_1830.jpg
    457.3 KB · Views: 13
Did you have to retune much after adding it? Does it hold up after any crashes, cartwheels, etc?

I tuned it for the added pipe but didn't seem much different than normal. The way I drive (no big jumps) I hope to not land on the rear bumper just right but if I bend it I can fix it.

What I think will happen on a rear-impact is the pipe will push forward and the coupling will slip off the muffler. When you crash, you just deal with it. Nothing is unbreakable

I find the stock pipe waste gases help keep my right rear drive train lubricated and rust free ;)

I felt that way too but my left rear drive train got really jealous and I just can't deal with that

I figured this wouldn’t affect anything performance wise. Very clever man, I like it! As someone mentioned above, it’s a hobby, do whatever you want! ??

Latest posts

Members online

Back