Rear drive/diff problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowking716

Hey guys hopefully my last SOS post for awhile my savage25 is having some type of rear drive issues i just replaced the gear on the opposite side of the drive cup in the diff and it seems to be catching sometimes and the rear gets no power, i removed the plate under the diff to check for broken or worn teeth all looks decent if i give the truck a push It makes a dull "ting" noise then rolls freely also ive found that pressure on the rear driveshaft into the cup locks it up and the tires wont spin i can provide pictures and possibly a video if needed this is really frusterating me so if you guys can help me out ill be forever grateful, thanks!

What was the reason for changing the ring gear? Did you clean all old grease out of the diff and relube with new lube?

You do need to remove the differential carrier from the truck and inspect the gears inside it, I believe the Savage 25 used just 2 spider gears inside so and upgrade to a 4 gear setup would be a good choice for upgrading

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hard-Steel-...704514&hash=item53fe23fc89:g:w4gAAOxyjLNSPqIX

Sadly many of the parts are hard to come by these days but a setup with alloy diff cups gives much more support to internal gears so just keep an eye out when they come back into stock.....

https://www.rcplanet.com/HPI_Alloy_Diff_Set_Case_Assembled_Savage_p/hpi86826.htm

What was the reason for changing the ring gear? Did you clean all old grease out of the diff and relube with new lube?
The teeth on the gear just got ate up (the one opposite of the drive cup) i don't see any shards or anything and i lubed it just noticed theres a fair amount of play on the drive cup maybe I'm missing a washer?

Thereis a littlebit of play stock without shims shimming would definitely take care of that. Also alum. Diff cups would also help like jam stated. And yes stock 25 diffs used just two spider gears i just up graded mine to the 4 spider setup. Did you make sure to clean out any old pieces of the diff?

Thereis a littlebit of play stock without shims shimming would definitely take care of that. Also alum. Diff cups would also help like jam stated. And yes stock 25 diffs used just two spider gears i just up graded mine to the 4 spider setup. Did you make sure to clean out any old pieces of the diff?
i made sure it was spotless before i replaced it. Since i first posted ive cleaned,lubed,repeat and when the rear tower is off it works perfect no grinding or clipping i attach it to the truck and it turns into a whole nother monkey and you can hear the clicking while driving ypu can see that the front wheels are getting more power once it gets to a roll the back wheels do kick a little but its on and off I'm thinking about just making it a appointment at my lhs

Remove the rear diff then spin the front tires to see if the catching/clicking doesn't follow the diff. What brake disks do you have? Fiber or metal?

I
Remove the rear diff then spin the front tires to see if the catching/clicking doesn't follow the diff. What brake disks do you have? Fiber or metal?
its definately rear diff its clicking like its missing teeth and jams up but nothing is missing slightly worn though,

i made sure it was spotless before i replaced it. Since i first posted ive cleaned,lubed,repeat and when the rear tower is off it works perfect no grinding or clipping i attach it to the truck and it turns into a whole nother monkey and you can hear the clicking while driving ypu can see that the front wheels are getting more power once it gets to a roll the back wheels do kick a little but its on and off I'm thinking about just making it a appointment at my lhs

I kind of sound likes the install is making the gear mesh be less than optimal. Can you post up some pictures of everything around there? Maybe we can spot something incorrect.

I kind of sound likes the install is making the gear mesh be less than optimal. Can you post up some pictures of everything around there? Maybe we can spot something incorrect.
Hey sorry for late reply gonna get right on taking diff back out and post some pics thanks for patience been a little busy

Latest posts

Members online

Back