RB modded D30M vs LRP .28 spec 3

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

X

Conspiracy of One
HPISF Staff
HPISF Supporter
I am currently debating between these two engines for my next purchase. Price aside ( RB modded D30M is way more expensive) which one is the better engine? In the engine hp X-dyno thread it shows that the LRP puts out 1.87 hp while the D30M puts out 1.6 hp. Does anyone have a rating for the RB Modded D30M?

thanks

Eric

To be honest I haven't seen either engine run yet. I'm just going off the research I've seen.

I would say the LRP is more likely to be a more reliable trouble free engine. The RB Modded STS should be sweet power wise but I'd go the LRP just for reliability. I doubt the difference in power would be that big other then the sts's low down torque. What engine do you currently have? Also is your drive train bullet proof.

What engine do you currently have? Also is your drive train bullet proof.

I currently run the K4.6, 3 speed trans, robinson racing spur and clutch bell combo, alloy diff cases.

I'll try to post a video of my lrp in action if I get some time this weekend.

Your Truck Almost Looks Like Its Hovering Cuz Its Sliding Around So Much From The Power! Lmao

LOL ! its was hard to control ... b/c it was on 2 wheeles most of the time

That engine screamed . It took some getting used to at first( tuning wise) but after a gallon on it tuning was really easy ..

I like both the LRP and the STS D30M. The LRP doesn't have the topend that the D30M has, I know it sounds strange to say that the .30 has more high RPM power but it does.

The LRP is a great mill and for the $160 or so it is worth every penny. The stock STS D30m at 119.00 ia a steal and will rock all but the most hardcore race mills.

Comparing the LRP to an RB modded STS D30M isn't fair to the LRP, a modded LRP would be a different story.

The RB modded D30M is just stupid. It has so much power up top and revs so high that I can't rev out the truck on my local track running a 15T CB and 47T spur with a 3 speed trans. The truck just roasts through the gears. I have to really listen to hear all the shifts at the track, most people think I still have a 2 speed because 1st to second is very fast and second to third is the same.

Some vids on my Race SS with the RB STS D30M.
Just getting warm here. Notice the smoke, nice and fat. Even being fat as a hog it still rips the wheels up and has plenty of revs. Notice how fast the truck shifts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvQc3TnpirM

Here the truck is preaty much up to temp and the power is right there. Wheelies at will and the revs are starting to come out as the mill heats up. 15/47 gearing middle of the road, not ideal for top speed runs or pulling wheelies but the D30M has more than enough RPM and power to make this gearing very flexible.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpsbvmLOfTc

Preaty much the rest of the vids are the same, wheelies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GGKx7dJpD8

A different angle here, kinda funny to watch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-WOgYz168c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpK2r7QBYQk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DdDEImzkIM

There are alot of LRP's, Axial's, K4.6's and O.S.'s at my local track. I wanted something different to set me apart from the norm and the STS D30M was the right mill for my Savage. I just happened to have enough to spring for the RB modded D30M and all I can say is it is just amazing how much more power it make over ALL of the other trucks at the track. The track owners wanted to ban me from using the mill because they have a competitive reg limiting engine price to under $260.00 in the MT class, I brought in my reciept from STSMicroengines.com and I was never asked another question.

Funny how all of the older guys go online and read about how hard the STS is to seal and tune, they have the idea that the D30M is a turd that will never last a season. I raced 2 different classes this year and a ton of bashing days, the pinch is still extremely strong. Only time will tell how long the mill will last but for now it is a winner.

You can't go wrong with either the LRP or the RB D30M.

Thanks for all the info and videos defiantspaz! Rep+ for that post! I think you might have helped me make a decision. Another thing in the favor of the D30M is that you can buy it with a roto-start backplate.

Have a look at how fasy my sts dm30 was STOCK !!! hope this helps

http://s144.photobucket.com/albums/r198/nw10er/?action=view&current=withoutbrakes3-11-07002.flv[/QU

That truck is screaming!! That's the fastest Ive seen yet. Do you know how fast it goes?

I found my next motor, when the time comes. Thanks for posting the vid.

Defiantspaz,

Thanks for the info, I guess I better start reading up on bulletproofing the train, and sealing the mill, which I have never done (don't even know what it is) so much to learn.

Is it too late to seal an engine after it has been started or broke in?

Thanks,

John

Edit- Hey guys, I know where the "sealing an engine" link is, is there one on how to bulletproof the drive train?

Thanks...

Last edited by a moderator:
Something I noticed, in your sig you have the HPI ribbed pipe, get a different pipe for either the LRP or the STS. The HPI polished work ok, I went with the STS 0702 .28/.30 pipe. Also stock up on McCoy MC-59 plugs, the STS loves hot plugs and 30% nitro.

Something I noticed, in your sig you have the HPI ribbed pipe, get a different pipe for either the LRP or the STS. The HPI polished work ok, I went with the STS 0702 .28/.30 pipe. Also stock up on McCoy MC-59 plugs, the STS loves hot plugs and 30% nitro.

I have to say I really like the ribbed pipe in comparision to the polished tuned pipe; the sound, durability and looks. Do you think the pipe would be that much different on the STS or LRP? Again thanks for the advice!

I'm STILL RUNNING MY STOCK ENGINE BUT WITH THE RIBBED PIPE AND I LIKE THE SOUND AND IT SEEMS PRETTY "TORQUEY" (IF THATS EVEN A WORD) TO ME!! I LIKE IT!!!! JUST MY 2 CENTS!! LOL:cheers: BUT AS TO PUTTING IT ON A DIFFERENT MOTOR I'm NOT SURE!!

w/ the sts .30 I ran the sts 0403 . it seemd to have a better top end then the 0702 .. my buddy runs a 0702 on his and I would blow him away

w/ the sts .30 I ran the sts 0403 . it seemd to have a better top end then the 0702 .. my buddy runs a 0702 on his and I would blow him away

I saw that you were running the 0403 pipe and got that one first. On the RB STS D30M the smaller diameter of the 0403 pipe really hurt the low end and the topend power of the modded mill. Not sure why. My friend has SJ's setup, a stock D30M and the 0403 pipe, and it runs great.

I bought the 0702 just to see if it would make a difference, for $40.00 you really can't go wrong, and it did. Instant low end power, alot more midrange and topend power too. NOW, I am not going to preach that the 0702 is better than the 0403 for the D30M. For my setup and my driving style the 0702 works better for me. For my friend and SJ the 0403 works better.

That is the great thing about RC's, everyone can find something a little different that works for them. People try different combonations of parts to get the performance they want. It isn't the most cost effective way to try every part for yourself. Wieght all the info that you find and buy the parts that you feel will give you the best bang for the buck. Considering that the STS full exhaust systems only cost $40.00 each, most .21/.28 exhaust are $70.00, you can afford to buy both and try them out for yourself.

I saw that you were running the 0403 pipe and got that one first. On the RB STS D30M the smaller diameter of the 0403 pipe really hurt the low end and the topend power of the modded mill. Not sure why. My friend has SJ's setup, a stock D30M and the 0403 pipe, and it runs great.

I bought the 0702 just to see if it would make a difference, for $40.00 you really can't go wrong, and it did. Instant low end power, alot more midrange and topend power too. NOW, I am not going to preach that the 0702 is better than the 0403 for the D30M. For my setup and my driving style the 0702 works better for me. For my friend and SJ the 0403 works better.

That is the great thing about RC's, everyone can find something a little different that works for them. People try different combonations of parts to get the performance they want. It isn't the most cost effective way to try every part for yourself. Wieght all the info that you find and buy the parts that you feel will give you the best bang for the buck. Considering that the STS full exhaust systems only cost $40.00 each, most .21/.28 exhaust are $70.00, you can afford to buy both and try them out for yourself.

Hi,

That's interesting about the pipe's. The way I am starting to see things, it seems that the same pipe may not work the same for 2 motors even if they are exactly the same, I just seen so many examples where the same engine's act differently for different people, like the temp. Am I correct in thinking that, or is it things like climate, location, fuel, etc... that cause these differences, or all of the above? I guess I am asking if these differences are seen at the same place, same fuel, plug etc...

Something else I am wondering about, on the D30M, is there that big of a difference from the modded to the stock motor, the price would make me think so. Also, What, if any, are the disatvantages to the modded D30M compared to the stock? Is it as reliable? Last as long? Anything? (other than the cost)

Thanks guys,

John

Most Of it has ALLOT to do w/ tuning .. I try to get every ounce of power from any engine I own . And never run it lean .. just find the fine line ... thats the bottom line ......................................

Most Of it has ALLOT to do w/ tuning .. I try to get every ounce of power from any engine I own . And never run it lean .. just find the fine line ... thats the bottom line ......................................

Sounds like a cool catch phrase! Also I definitely agree.

Heres what got dropped on my doorstep this morning!

Latest posts

Members online

Back