racer basher center diff savage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slotcartrump

I don't race but i like bashing at high speeds ok!
this is my project i am putting it here for all to see.
I have spent a lot of time thinking this one out.
here are a few pics to get things started.
100_1136.jpg

I made the TVP's out of 3mm plexi glass. which will be replaced by 3mm blue carbon fiber.
It was free and i don't want to wreck my carbon fiber if i change my mind. makes sense rite.

I made the chassis plates 13-1/4" long to help keep the front end on the ground, the wheel base front to back is 14" .
100_1155.jpg

as you can see i'm using an ofna Jammin X1CRT center differential.
i am running 50k weight in it. This is the gear http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLMY5&P=Z
I had to modify the brake cams by grinding them down
and fill welding them to make the shafts an even 5mm
from one end to the other

100_1152.jpg

The O.S. .30 vg is my old engine the new one is a Novarossi 528xR

100_1157.jpg

The rear dogbone is from an ofna Jammin X1CRT It is the center rear bone from the kit

100_1144.jpg

I kicked up the rear gear box 2.5 degrees for a reaer caster angles of 2.5 degrees it seems to be the standard in truggys
and i thought it would work well on a savage to give it a little more rear end stability when going through chop and tight corners.

100_1158.jpg

100_1163.jpg

The differentials have hardened steel spiders from yeahracing on ebay
with hotbodies diff cups that have hardened steel caps for the out drives to go into.
these are great they are one of the few things that survived when my old savage hit the house at full speed.
I have never had any trouble with these at all and they have been beat on by an O.S. .30 for a couple of gallons now.
they are smooth as can be not crunchy or sloppy at all.

I am also looking into extended a arms (delrin hopefully) I may have to make my own

I have the engine plate and differential sitting just as low as i can go.
if i go any further it will stick out past the skids

i'm going to try to post every or every other night

Last edited by a moderator:
been working on an alternative to a center diff, but nice job, nonetheless...

Definitely have my attention. Thanks for starting up a thread for this build. Looking forward to reading up more on it.

yay! Another project log! I love these things, good luck with the build.

ok heres my blue carbon fiber.

100_1174.jpg

and I have silver just in case i don't like blue.
100_1171.jpg

100_1181.jpg

I used a swazall fitted with a metal cutting blade to cut the sheet about a half inch larger than the plexi tvp

I used the plexi glass tvps that I made earlier in this project as patterns
Stacking the pieces before you drill is the best idea I came up with.
This insures that the pieces will have identical screw hole locations.

In the stack you will have 2 pieces of carbon fiber stacked with plexiglass on top

use c clamps to keep it from moving.
The plates don't have to be cut before you drill you can use your screw holes later to line the plates back up.
Drill rite through the plexiglass holes and the rest of the stack trying to keep your drill at a 90 degree angle from the stack.
Once you drill them take a magic marker and trace it
then take one of them and start cutting with the die grinder you don't need to take it all of the way to the line yet save the small work for the dremmel.

For precautionary measures i taped some tools with masking tape to prevent scratches.

100_1183.jpg

100_1184.jpg

the sawzall seemed to work really good for getting the piece with in 1/2" of its finished size.

The grinder worked ok and seemed to load up with carbon fiber resin.

I ended up using a die grinder (not pictured) to do most of the grinding.
It loaded up a little but the high rpm's kept it cleaner.

and then of course finishing the edges with a dremel.

I'll be sealing the edges of the tvps with CA glue later.

100_1186.jpg

100_1185.jpg

after a couple hours of hitting it hard I have one plate almost finnished and the other one is drilled

tomorrow i will show you both tvps

sweet...I've been meaning to ask, where the Carbon fiber came from...there was a guy on here that was selling some, but he never got back to me...

This is really taking shape, great work so far. I've been meaning to ask what is the purpose of a center diff, not just in this truck but the actual purpose of a center diff in anything?

This is really taking shape, great work so far. I've been meaning to ask what is the purpose of a center diff, not just in this truck but the actual purpose of a center diff in anything?

center diff helps to corner and to keep from wheelieing over backwards when hitting the gas
I can adjust the bias front to rear by using differnt weight oils.
In this diff i have 50,000 wt oil.

sweet...I've been meaning to ask, where the Carbon fiber came from...there was a guy on here that was selling some, but he never got back to me...

I got the carbon fiber on ebay.
Sorry I don't remember who.
I think it was $40 for 1 piece 13.5 x13" shipped I bought 2 of them 1 in silver and 1 in blue.

Just so you know there is no such thing as colored carbon fiber.
carbon fiber is a laminate like plywood and on the sheets I bought the verry outside layers are colored fiberglass.

If it is 100% carbon fiber it is black.

center diff helps to corner and to keep from wheelieing over backwards when hitting the gas
I can adjust the bias front to rear by using differnt weight oils.
In this diff i have 50,000 wt oil.

That is interesting, please take a video of your truck when it's up and running, I'm really looking forward to this one.

the purpose of the centre diff is as slotcar said, to not let the car wheelie, and cornering, in a std sav the torque form the motor is split 50/50 front to rear, with a centre diff, it will vary the torque split. the disadvantage is that if a front wheel is off the ground for example, all the power will go there (unless a thicker diff oil/grease is used, similar to a limeted slip diff) the advantage is that you can power out of corners better, notice how most try to push the nose wide, as the front is getting too much of the engines torque, a ceentre diff would allow the rear end to get more, therefore helping the front end tuck in. hope this is informative to ya!

looks good btw bud. will be interesting to see how this pans out!!

delrin center skid

heres my progress for today
this is not cnc work I used a skill saw a buffing wheel and a dremmel
the fit is near perfect.
100_1218.jpg

1. I cut the skid out of 3/8" delrin sheet 3"x3 1/8" with a skill saw.
2. the area where the spur gear is was bored out with a dremmel.
3. and I covered the bottom of the tvpwith a 1/8" by 1/8" flange.
4. I cut the flange in with the dremmel the measurement between the tvp's is 2 7/8".

100_1216.jpg

heres another angle

100_1217.jpg

100_1221.jpg

here's a preview

100_1256.jpg

It's not going to stay like this but this should give you an idea of what the finished truck will look like

thats not the engine i'm using or the wheels/tires
i bought the racer steering upgrade with 17mm hubs
and a novarossi 528x

I also bought 2 sets of jammin wheels
1 set pro-line mt badlands (for running in gravel)
1 set pro-line mt crimefighters

i'm still not sure about the tank either

I'm looking in to what it's going to take to make extended delrin A-arms and buggy style delrin shock towers.

also delrin roll cage.

100_1247.jpg

More to come!

thanks hopefully i'll have it done soon so I can bash it a little.
I got to see how well it's going to hold up.
The chassis doesnt flex at all.
I'm thinkin it's going to be a good all around truck.
it's a lot lighter than the old one.
Keep the comments coming it helps to motivate me. lol

I'll keep on commenting as long as you keep these awesome pictures coming. You know what would look awesome(but expensive)? A nice set of Vantage carbon fiber arms! Sweetness!

they are amazing pieces. got a full set sitting in the house. still pending sale with guy at my race club on them so ill keep looking at them once in a while

no savage to put them on for me. :(, ah well my carbon fibre revo more than makes up for that

they are amazing pieces. got a full set sitting in the house. still pending sale on them so ill keep looking at them once in a while

no savage to put them on for me. :(, ah well my carbon fibre revo more than makes up for that

Send me a pm on how much you want for them.

Latest posts

Members online

Back