question about setting shift points on a 3 speed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShiftPoint

I am wondering is for a bigger engine do we want it to shift sooner (counterclockwise) or later (clockwise turn on screw)

I have been told here on the forum that for a bigger more powerful engine we want it to shift later (turn the screw clockwise)and that is what I thought, I am having problems setting my trany and wonder if that is correct???

The reason I am questioning this is, in the 3 speed manual it shows the standard settings for the .25 mill and it is 3 ¼ turns clockwise from default flush,

ok on the savage x ss 4.6 manual it shows the standard setting for the 2 speed is 1 ½ turn clockwise from default flush (I assume this is for a K4.6)

The K4.6 is bigger more power than the .25 so if it is only 1 ½ turn and the 25 is 3.14 turns then your adjusting the bigger mill to shift sooner, correct???

Or is it the difference with the 1st gear in the 2 speed and the 3 speed (I know they are different 1st and maybe 2nd gears???

I guess it must be a different clutch??

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :crazy: :crazy: :crying:

It really depends on where the power of the engine is and what gearing you are running. Bigger engine means higher gearing at the pinion so shifting later will be needed. For the same gearing though earlier shifting will probably be needed as the bigger engine don't tend to rev as high.

Members online

No members online now.
Back