Putting an Octane engine into a Savage 25

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colton

I have a Savage 25 that I'm wanting to convert to a gas (octane engine). Do I need anything other than the engine, coil, tvps, and a gas tank.

Welcome to the forum Colton!

Do you currently have an Octane engine? I ask because it would likely be far easier to swap it for Losi's gas engine. It would likely fit in your stock TVPs. Another thing to keep in mind is that there has been many issues with tuning with the Octane's stock engine/ coil. I don't mean to dissuade you from what you want to do, just providing a possible better choice.

This engine is out of the Losi XXL 2
http://www.losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdId=DYNE0500

I was also thinking about that engine, but I have seen it has its issues too. Since its a ABC engine and gas, it doesn't last that long.

yes, well, you might have trouble getting the octane engine in the x, as it is quite a big engine.

I haven't heard anything about the xxl engine wearing out, just that they don't tune as good as other engines.

Well I am going to buy the xl tvps and almost everything else, but front and rear diffs and shock towers

if you want to buy the octane engine, that your choice. I just wouldn't recommend that you do. I haven't heard anything good about that engine.

Okay. I am probably going to build the engine instead of buying it because they're put of stock everywhere. There are a few places with them but they're asking $500. To build the engine it's under $200

FWIW, I haven't had any issues at all with my octane engine. Getting close to a gallon through at this point. I only had to richen it a few "clicks" (1/27th of a turn per click) just after "break in" because it would stall in the transition from the low to the high needle, so I haven't found it hard to tune at all. So far, still on the original plug and it's a nice cocoa brown. I use pump gas and Royal Purple. As far a power.... I didn't get into to gas cars for that reason.

Okay. I am probably going to build the engine instead of buying it because they're put of stock everywhere. There are a few places with them but they're asking $500. To build the engine it's under $200
I would do it if I was you, my Octane has no issues and I'm on my 20th tank of fuel. I run Shell 91 octane or Chevron and at $3.50 or so a gallon it's a steal. And I also use Royal Purple, it holds the tune very well and always starts within about 6 pulls and even faster when it's warm. Go for it!

I would do it if I was you, my Octane has no issues and I'm on my 20th tank of fuel. I run Shell 91 octane or Chevron and at $3.50 or so a gallon it's a steal. And I also use Royal Purple, it holds the tune very well and always starts within about 6 pulls and even faster when it's warm. Go for it!
You have great oil taste sir!!! I've used Royal Purple in every engine I fly or drive. I admit I haven't tried most of the other oils out there, but I believe in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," in this case anyway. I think you'll find many people out there that are very satisfied with this engine. It's just that owners don't always come to the forums and start a thread to talk about how good things are.

Latest posts

Members online

Back