Pullstart problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeroc1982

I'm breaking in my new motor. Today I'd fired it up and drove for awhile. Then tried to start it again but the pullstart seemed like it was slipping. It would turn itover once then all slack after that. I took off the pullstart and it seems fine. It's the lrp 28 pullstart version.

Your One-Way Bearing is probably slipping due to having too much fuel on it, acting as a lubricant. You can clean them but I tried cleaning mine once and it worked better the first two times and then after that it started doing it again. It still does it and I have not had it get worse on me yet so I'm still using it with no problems. It is annoying but once the motor is warmed up it works as it should. I called HPI and told them what it was doing and asked them if there was anything I could do to make it work better but the girl's only answer was to send me a new OWB and starter shaft so I took the new ones and threw them in my tool box for spares LOL! Once the motor is tuned well it will start after the first couple presses of the button and then after warming up you'll have no problems with it. It's just the cold starts that are a bit annoying.

take your ps off and your back plate, clean your owb and starter shaft with some nitro clean. what brand of fuel are you using?

I use sidewinder 20% with 12% oil, I wonder if it is the brand of fuel?

You may have cracked the sleeve around the one-way bearing. Sidewinder Race only contains 12% lubricant, only 2% of which is castor oil (The other 10% being synthetic lubricants), so it doesn't cause the OWB to slip under normal circumstances.

Remove the engine's backplate and inspect the one-way bearing for hairline cracks. Sometimes the failure point can be hard to spot, but that's usually the cause of a slipping OWB if you're using good fuel.

I took off the pullstart and backplate. Soo oily in there. So I cleaned the owb, starter shaft and inside the pullstart. Seems to be better now. Only thing is wen I was cleaning the pullstart, the spring came out and everything. Got it wound back and it's working, just a cm of string is left loose now on the pullstart.

Getting rid of the slack is pretty easy. With the spring and spool in place, rotate the the spool counterclockwise by hand until you have about 10cm of slack in the string. While holding the spool in place to prevent it from springing back, wrap the excess string around the spool in a counterclockwise motion, and gently force it into the groove with a small screwdriver or similar. Once the entire spring is sitting in the groove, remove your hand from the spool, and it should spring back into place with tension on the string.

So if there was a hairline crack in mine would it still work better after warming up? Cause it works pretty much flawlessly after the engine is even partially warmed up.

Getting rid of the slack is pretty easy. With the spring and spool in place, rotate the the spool counterclockwise by hand until you have about 10cm of slack in the string. While holding the spool in place to prevent it from springing back, wrap the excess string around the spool in a counterclockwise motion, and gently force it into the groove with a small screwdriver or similar. Once the entire spring is sitting in the groove, remove your hand from the spool, and it should spring back into place with tension on the string.

its easier to pull the full string out as if you were going to start it. then feed the line (slacked caz your holding the spool under preasure) back out of the back of the spool with it still

Ahh yea know what Ill have to make a vid of this. but its the same way you do all pull starts saws strigtimmers lawn mowers blowers... just need to add 2 or 3 more rotations to the spring..

its easier to pull the full string out as if you were going to start it. then feed the line (slacked caz your holding the spool under preasure) back out of the back of the spool with it still

Ahh yea know what Ill have to make a vid of this. but its the same way you do all pull starts saws strigtimmers lawn mowers blowers... just need to add 2 or 3 more rotations to the spring..

That method works well too, but I prefer to wind the majority of the string onto the spool before placing it in the PS housing. Then it's just a matter of a single extra winding to tension it.

Latest posts

Members online

Back