Pull starter!?!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty Nail

I'm new here and the forum seems pretty cool. Anyway, Got me a used Octane for a steal and so far it's running pretty good, seems to be hitting all gears BUT the dang pull starter is CRAP!!! I already went through one and today I was running the truck and it ran out of gas a so I refilled it and went to start it when the DANG rope came right off! My questions is, is there anyway besides taking the motor off to get to the pull starter to fix it AGAIN. I'm sure I went about it the hard way the first time. Thanks for any help!

Sorry to hear of pullstart troubles, as far as i know you gotta remove the engine to get access to the unit, if it is just the rope coming off try using a figure 8 knot on the end going into the hub, I used to rewind pullstarts all the time when I worked as a rental equipment mechanic and using it generally keeps it in place better....

http://www.animatedknots.com/fig8_/

That's what I figured. It's not really that big of a deal just kind of a pain. I'll give the Flemish knot a go...learned that one in the Navy...thanks for the tip!

Why does it break on you? Is it wearing on the side of the case or are you pulling too far? The fix to either of those is to pull it at an angle so it doesn't rub on stuff and not to pull so far. :)

Or is your knot just coming undone?

I've been running pull-starts for years and rarely have issues with them... well, rarely anymore. When I was new, I didn't pay much attention to how far I pulled, if the engine was hydrolocked or if it was rubbing on the body, chassis, starter housing... now that I pay better attention, I don't have issues.

The first time one of the plastic components broke insight the pull starter. I think I was pulling a bit too hard. Although I don't pull extremely hard for my 1/5 scales I don't think I need that amount of torque on the Octane pull starter. The second time the knot indeed came loose.

I completely HATE pullstarters !!! for me carrying extra things is no trouble since I always take more than I need when bashing, I have a roto on my Savage and LOVE IT !!! also all my other nitro rigs use a Tigerdrive for starting and never a problem..... I think the only one I have with a pullstart is my USA1 Nitro Crusher and I start that with a box anyway , like i say I always go with more than I need when I bash, usually 4 to 5 rigs go anyway so room in the truck for things extra is not that big a hassle.....
I have had 4 shoulder surgeries tho and using any pullstarter is just not an option for me personally

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back