Pull start slipping

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zud00

On my LRP, the pullstart is slipping. When I go to start it, on 90% of the pulls, it will only turn the motor over once. I have a 1 1/3 gallon thru it. Do I need a new one way or does it just need a good cleaning? If I need a new one, where can i get one, if it needs cleaned, how to I go about that? Thanks.

Clean it up with some Denatured Alcohol. That happens often when fuel gets onto the pull start. If it's catching it at all, it may be savable. :)

I just had a similar issue with my ROTOSTART... The oneway bearing was SHOT... it went from slipping every now and then to more often to all the time. I just replaced the one way bearing and all is good. Starts every time.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

I just took it out today and soaked it in denatured alcohol for awhile. Hopefully it will help.

Make sure you move the bearings in it while it's in the alchohol. You could use a small screwdriver to do so. That way any dirt could possibly come out. I've had that problem so many times, I can't begin to count them. Good idea for you though. When you bolt the pullstart on, take these steps to help you get a better seal to keep that one way out of harms way.

RTV the backplate that you'll be mounting to. It helps keep any fuel, dirt, or other debris from getting into the housing.

Untie the pull handle, and put a rubber o-ring about the size of the rope onto the rope before you tie it back on. This will help create a better seal there so dirt and stuff stays out of the pullstart assembly.

After running the engine, make sure to clean off the pull start and the engine near the pull assembly.

Those steps will help preserve your one way bearing. It may not make a huge difference, but it will certainly help you keep it free from dirt and debris!

The one way in the LRP is internal so the engine oil is going to get into it anyway. I gave my owb a hiding during breakin on my lrp and it started slipping not long after break in. I replaced mine but they aren't cheap.

My lrp is doimg the same thing and i got 7 tanks on it but once it gets fuel up in the engine it stops but i also scuffed my shaft when i put the new pull start on

I know i should probably get a new one to have for whenever this one fails but man i don't want to spend the extra money and my wife sure is getting on my case about spending money. I'd hate to be at world finals and not be able to compete because i can't start my truck due to a bad one-way bearing.

oh yeah, does the backplate need re-sealed after pulling it apart to check out the one-way bearing?

Ha, mine is doing the same thing, seemed to get worse when I added a piece of fuel tubing to extend the pullstart handle away from the engine, so it wasn't inside the body. However it only does it at the beginning. Once the engine is warm, it doesn't do it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back