ptoblem...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speed_demon

i got my hpi nitro mt fixed, the transmission 2 speed gears were chewed up, and took it outside to take it for a spin BUT....i got it started up and got it going...kinda...the speed was extremely slow, under 5 mph! and there was dangerously high rpm on the motor. it took about a minute to get it to get any speed and it had pritty bad handling. i brought it over to me lifted it off the ground and hit the gas. the back tires seemed to move pritty fast but when i put it on the ground and slowed to a near stop...i also noticed that the front tired didn't seem to spin very much and not very fast at all....is there something wrong with the front part of the 4wheel drive transmission?

The original MTs had very weak diff gears. They could be blown too. Try turning the front and rear wheels by hand and see if they turn smoothly in opposite directions.
Are you still running the 2 speed or did you change it to a single speed set up?

yes i am running the two speed tranny. and eveything seems to spin fine. but when i drove it the front wheels didn't seem to want to drive. the back wheels were trying to go though.

If you put the truck on the ground and roll it forward does the tranny spin?

maybe a bearing??????

Did you try turning the front and rear wheels separately? I think its probably going to be the diffs. The original MT's diffs were soft metal and they shattered easily. You might want to just take them apart and check them to save time.

well i did have a look at everything. the diffs are fine. it turns out that the first gear in the tranny get worn out and just wont spin with the motor gears.
can anyone help me find and hpi nitro mt METAL gear?

You don't want metal gears on the spur. Stick with the plastic. Less rotational mass and it provides a cheap weak link in the tranny in case of a problem. Its cheaper to replace a $3 spur then something more expensive.

well thats the problem, the spur gear is TOO weak. i need something stronger.

If its too weak then the mesh isnt set correctly. You shouldnt be tearing up the spurs that easily. I have a plastic spur in my MT2 with and OS TZ and its fine. Check your mesh

Its the spacing between the spur gear and the clutch bell. If its too tight or too loose you will tear up the gears.

ok, thanks. i'll check it out when i am able too, i am tearing up the spur gear, and i don't know much about the truck. i had just got it used and the guy who owned it did NOT take good care of it. and I'm actually thinking on going single speed, whats your opinion on that?

It all depends on where you run it most, what engine you have in it and what gearing you are using.
Do you have any pictures of the truck?
Its an original MT right?

yes i have submitted pics, one is on my message. i have a .15 hpi pullstart motor, i thnk its a piece of crap though.
the spur gear it 52 teeth. its a two speed

A picture of the truck with the body off would help.
If you only have a 52T spur gear then its not a 2 speed.

Can you take a picture of the transmission. Either from the front or underneath

i could try, but it would take a little bit to get the pics up.

Maybe I'm missing it but from that angle it looks like thats a single speed clutch bell.

not a single speed clutch bell, its a two speed, i know its hard to see but i know its a two speed.

nope, right now i don't have access to it. my truck is at my moms. ill be able to look at it this weekend.

Latest posts

Members online

Back