Proline Badlands!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guinnessdublin

Hi, have started looking at Proline wheel/tyre offerings & was asking if the Badlands 3.8 on desparado wheels was agood all round Choice,also is the Raid & F11 option the newer version of the Big Joes now?

Yes, the badlands are an excellent choice. That's what I currently run and good grip on just about any surface. But, my experience is with nitro and not brushless.

Badlands for me have too much grip and I prefer to slide more, so Trenchers or Mashers. Big Joes ballooned a bit more. If its vert wet/muddy then Badlands do the best job, but I tend to run when its dry or just damp. You shoud get 1/2 inch offset to increase width. Bigger tyres will add more rotational weight so may tame wheelies depending on your engine spec.

Prolines prices have significantly increased in last few years so 2nd hand is better value. Arrma 4S Backflip are another Badlands type worth a look.

I have to try and find some tires that will fit my spare set of blue groove rims. Can't remember the size, but it was the standard size before 3.8 became the standard.

I read through my build thread and found what the size of the rims are. They are 3.2 and now just have to see if I can actually find some tires for them.

Looking at some videos online regarding these Badland tyres they mention about the MX 3.8 being belted to prevent ballooning out, no mention of this is description that I can find so is that correct or false?

Yes thanks lokky found them straight after post, at 173mm x 88mm thinking will be to big for savage & strain the diffs not mentioning the huge cost of them!

They are one of the heaviest and will soon wear the drive train as others have found, even brushless users.

Thinking will end up with 3.8 Badlands on Desperado wheels with 1/2” off set so help to make truck wider.
Pity they don’t do these wheels with the replaceable wheel hex set up like the Raid wheel option !

Thinking will end up with 3.8 Badlands on Desperado wheels with 1/2” off set so help to make truck wider.
Pity they don’t do these wheels with the replaceable wheel hex set up like the Raid wheel option !
Proline does that now and charges a small fortune for the alloy adapters. The plastic adapters aren't that strong, probably ok for nitro, but not for 6S brushless. So your on the hook for $55/$73 a pair for tires (belted/unbelted) and another $47*2 for alloy adapters. So $110+$94=$204 for a full set or $240 for belted. I'm not sure what it saves you... other than being able to run my 3.8" tires on a truck with smaller hexes? Odds are, I'd want 2.8's anyway... just seems like a way to get people to buy arrma take off tires more. lol!

First set of expensive wheel combo I got was proline trencher 3.8's on desperado rims. Really dissapointed with it overall because the fkn rims warped after a week or so. I bought new turnbuckles, 17mm hex conversion kits, bearings - all thinking it was them when really it was just the rims themselves.
The rims were VERY soft. I'm not going with them again thats for sure. The tyre itself tho was awesome! great quality tyre and heaps of grip! Just the rim that was a huge disappointment.

Spent over $150AUD on them too.

I'm looking into putting a truggy setup on my rig soon.

Do the 3.8 Badland tyres that go with the Desperado wheels fit onto any HPI wheels as never had a problem with there ones stripping etc?

Just make sure that the 17mm wheel hex is a good fit into the wheel with little free movement. If there is play then use some tape to take it up. Not had any issues with several sets of Proline Desperados on a nitro or brushless Savage. The stock Savage 17mm hex uses a flanged wheel nut, maybe this is the weak point compared to 'normal' 17mm wheel hexes.
17mmhex.jpg

I have the 17mm conversation set fitted on my savage 21 which was Hot bodies or hpi can’t remember now but the cross pin is held in place by a grub hex screw in centre!
So are you aware of any hpi wheels which would fit the Badland tyres?

Why do you want to use hpi wheels and not desperados? I would think that hpi wheels have a normal bead (groove) whereas the Badlands will be traxxas style bead.

Just comment by Biddie fiddler saying he thought they were abit soft/weak, unless I have misread post, never had any Proline wheel/tyres?

Never had an issue with them, a quick search may tell you about major issue but very unlikely from a well known supplier. Problems such as hexes rounding are usually due to wheel nut coming loose, some plastics are more brittle at cold temps so could crack upon bad crashes. You can also belt your own tyres using strong cord/wire on the outside but never done it myself.

Like I said before, I really like the badlands. I got mine before they started selling belted tires, so I put 2-4 full wraps on the inside with Gorilla tape. The one that looks like duct tape but thick and strong. On a side note, when I ran my truck the other day and broke the T/B servo arm and replaced it a new, I forgot to check and readjust my brake throw end point, so when I went to stop from full speed, the tires dug in and it flip end over end. It did that in the street and it really tall, thick grass.

Okay guys thanks for input, have seen that done where guy wrapped 100lb fishing line round outside of tyre!
With just general bashing though is the odd occasion where tyre balloons a problem, me thinking perhaps not unless I’am missing something there.?
Where people have breakages you can never really tell if it was user error,cold weather or just pushing truck to far & expecting it to survive from it!

If it's a flux or any high power brushless, I've seen a few occasions where the tires ballooned on high speed runs on the road. Also, full throttle big air jumps can balloon tires.

Looking at the raid wheel option surely when fitted onto hub my wheel nut type would be covering the replaceable wheel hex’s on wheel would it not, as I can’t see how they would fit on otherwise?
Have any of you got a photo of these fitted to your savage please?
This is the wheel nut type I have the thin nut version.

Attachments

• 239428C1-34D5-4531-AB09-2C651F9AC4B5.jpeg
    239428C1-34D5-4531-AB09-2C651F9AC4B5.jpeg
    87.7 KB · Views: 1
Having a funny 5 mins, take it the wheel nut is fitted further back into wheel itself?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back