Project Rockbuster build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampDawg

For over a year my poor SCX10 was either sittting on a shelf collecting dust or after i cut the ever living crap out of it in attempts to my own custom crawer which was an epic failure, ive decided to get all the parts together to start putting it back together in the form of a honcho.

heres what i have left off the scx10parts....

Ordered:

C-frame chassis 30502
Honcho body w/cage ax4025
Outdrive shaft (snapped it in two) ax30404
Fr Bumper ax80044
Side guards/Mounts ax80041/ax80026
Fr/Rr crossmembers for L.E.Ds ax80046

ordered these today:
b27tnmq2kkgrhqqokkeyqpu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
update:

as i still await for parts to show up....
i have ordered a VF DIG for my SCX10 transmission.

within the next few days time this project will start to take shape. In the meanwhile i have tweaked my bumpsteer setup.

just found out that there is a 4-link mount kit for the axles i own.

The parts in "red" will bolt right up to the axles and allow for me to make custom links for more articulation. When the parts start to arrive ill be starting this build thread. Hopefully by the end of this week parts will start showing up.

I'm not a crawler guy but this looks like an interesting project. cant wait to see it come together.

anyhow.....got to a start lastnight as i went through the parts i have on hand and what ill be using which wasnt alot in the end. The rest is on order as mentioned and hopefully here real soon?

All that is being used of the previous SCX10 is as follows:

x2 complete stock axles with lockers
x4 Proline Flat Iron tires on Beadlock rollers
Stock "mirror" AX10 transmission
Stock drive axles x2

Other parts on the go and on the way...

Axial lower High-clearance links (orange in color)

Couldnt help myself on this deal which worked out to 35.00 USD shipped
x5 NIB Flat Iron tires and Beadlock rollers

Cant remember if i had mentioned these parts so ill throw em in here aswel but these too were ordeed:

C-frame rails
Fr TR Honcho bumper with rock guards
Rail guards
Honcho body with cage
Misc screws/bolts,etc

Project Shafty Hilux:

After seeing this thing on youtube i got goin on this immediately.
Cut the corners off the fenders on each side and also the lower side of the
front grille to match. Sanded the body and masked the rear window in
preperation for the paint which will be satin black.

Although I'm still awaiting for my parts to arrive in the mail and my local hobby atleast i can get a start on this rig.

Parts gathered so far:

Electronics: Rx, Servos & ESC

Custom motor: 55t armature, ballbearing can, heatsinks, 18g silicone wire with deans.

Of course the radio....a 3CH ,always loved the HPI Tx'

decided on something different here....

first cutting the doors out, adding styrene where needed to the inners,

then adding roll cage inside the door frame.

got messin around again with the door framing ofg this hilux body and its coming along pretty nicely. Once i have this part completed ill be adding in some tubular plastic to resemble a cage on the inside of both doors.

hoping that some of my parts show up today at my local hobby. hmmm

Got to painting the exterior again, leaving the rear window masked cuz ill be handpainting the rollcage later on and don't wanna hit the window with paint. Lost a few vinyl on the fenders to paint it correctly but turned out allright

1st coat of orange to tubular rollcage, only took a few hours.... ugh!
seeing as the original "shafty hilux" had an orange scheme goin on i figured id incorperate it into this somehow.

what do you guys take of this so far?

is there any part of this that isnt going to be custom fabrication? LawLz!!!
Motor mount now complete ,just needs the GRU now. Moving on to the next thing....ahahah.....the dash for the interior is complete now and just threw on a fresh coat of black paint. This too is custom and had to be cut in 3 sections to allow for me to have a RHD (right hand drive) toyota. Gotta love the RHDs.

thanks!!

couple more updates:

the dash had to be redone as i didnt realize the steering wheel wasnt center to the driver. LoL
snc00140p.jpg

Transmission modified to suit Dig unit and GRU/Motor driveline.
Cut the input shaft 1" back to allow for the driveshaft to mount up to with
the yoke/set screw.

The small pile of parts left over from this mod was funnie! (no longer needed)

bye-bye spurgear, slipper clutch, spring and other misc screws and bits! lol

got quite a bit done to this project since my last post:

Custom 90D-Tilt Transmount (Turns my transmission sideways)
This allows for more room to mount my hardshell Yota body. Now that I'm running the motor "off" of the Trans and using driveshafts to power this unit in conjunction with the 2:1 GRU (gear reduction unit), Dig unit (locks the axles into 2WD-Rear, 4WD, 2WD Front (Dig)) and it looks damn cool now that i painted it too match my scheme. The C-frame chassis which is on its way to me will also be painted orange to go with the flow.

ALL steel yokes at driveshafts

Shocks (TRX Long) rear/Slash - This allows for more travel (articulation) then the standard Axial scale shocks.

Took the time to set up my front axle and bumpsteer oil-filled shock (this acts as the servo saver now).

Still waiting on a big list of parts for this thing still such as :

- 4-link post mounts
- High clearance draglinks
- Rock sliders & mounts
- Axial bed/cage
- Outdrive shaft
- Fr bumper from Honcho TR
- Landrover wheels - Tamiya
- Dig unit
- Alloy shocks
- CC BEC
- 2:1 GRU
- x5 Flat Iron tires/Beadlock wheels

the time has come...

made the general chassis frame template up tonight.

just have to do some minor tweaking where all the bracing & towers will go which already are sketched in right now. Then its to the cutting board!

decided against my custom chassis as i wanted that OEM appearance and not some hackjob which even though i planned on painting either or anyhow but...still...

i ordered the c-frame rails off ebay for 50.00 and they are on the way to me such as the rest of the crap i still haven't recieved. ugh...this project is now on the sidelines as i wait. so frustrating to say the least!!

but i did manage to walk into my local hobby and see something off to the corner of my eye "bling" that mezmerized me...i picked it up.....i looked at it for a few moments....seen the ratio was a tad off from what i need or want but got thinking....screw it! i have a 2:1 GRU comin anyhow so what did i have to lose right? besides....id have 2 options buying this now doing so.

simply by either swapping the gru itself to grab a different gear reducer and/or swapping the motor itself for a differnt gear ratio combo which is not to far different then swapping a spur or pinion but with with way more options aswel as Low-down Tq or Speed up top to play with. lol

toyota body scrapped....ill be selling it now. New plan in action...

Gotthis 83 chev p/u body i am now doing up. Also got a few goodies coming or already installed on this rig.

Orange Axial high clearance links - installed
Clod fender flares - ordered

the rest of this project still is on the go as planned minus this new body.

snc00294r.jpg

Chassis build:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs077.ash2/37188_164651240230580_100000571166430_441879_7955182_n.jpg[img]

[img]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs137.snc4/37188_164651243563913_100000571166430_441880_4222854_n.jpg[img]

ive done some tweaking even since thesepics but youget the midst of it....

PS: ADMIN/MOD:
could youplease change the title of this thread for me to:
Project Rockbuster build:

ill be cleaning this thread up here real soon to accomodate for it.

thanks
SD

37188_164651243563913_100000571166430_441880_4222854_n.jpg

37188_164651240230580_100000571166430_441879_7955182_n.jpg

ive done some tweaking even since thesepics but youget the midst of it....

PS: ADMIN/MOD:
could youplease change the title of this thread for me to:
Project Rockbuster build:

ill be cleaning this thread up here real soon to accomodate for it.

thanks
SD

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back