Project Flying Purple People Eater

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TunaBait

Sand Basher
This has been a fun project and I think everyone will like:).

It's a Show/Basher Savage XL.

OK Here is the parts list.. I am just ganna copy and past from the invoices to make it easer for me.

Savage Hop Up! Brake/throttle linkage upgrade
DE Racing Tank Pull Kit PURPLE
HPI 308 Savage X Battery Level Indicator
SAVAGE XL 6 VOLT HUMP BATTERY & CHARGER
SAVAGE XL BATTERY / RECEIVER BOX
Airtronics M11X
GH 02058P ALUMINUM STEERING BLOCKS/C-HUBS
INTEGY C22388 23 mm WHEEL HUB HEX ADAPTER
RRP 7246 HARDENED/HARD STEEL 46-T SPUR GEAR
OFNA 51232 PICCO P3 .28 TRUGGY BLOCK 9 PORT ENGINE
Cheyenne Narrow Bead-Loc 40 Series Wheels
PRO-LINE 1117-00 MOAB 40 SERIES TIRES
LOSI LOSB7203 SAND WEDGE TIRES
LOSI LOSB7204 SAND RAZOR TIRES
iNTEGY 4mm Chassis Plate(2) - Savage XL
Dynamite Throttle Return Springs
HPI SAVAGE XL 5.9 Dogbones Center Heavy Duty
HPI SAVAGE X Front Rear Sway Bar Set 102538
HPI SAVAGE XL 5.9 FRONT REAR BUMPERS
GH Aluminum Bulkhead Purple
GH Alum Throttle Mix Arm Set Savage
Golden Horizons Alum Servo Saver Prpl Savage
HPI SAVAGE XL HEAVY DUTY OUTER DOGBONES
HPI SAVAGE XL EXTENDED DRIVE AXLES,SPACERS
1/8th Scale Translucent Purple Heavy Duty Body Clips
Purple/Clear Deluxe In-Line Fuel Filter by IMEX
Integy Purple Anodized Aluminum Shock Tower
XL SAVAGE DRIVE CUPS DIFFERENTIAL JOINT
INTEGY Aluminum MSR5 Piggyback Shocks
Upper Lower Control A Arm Set
Integy HPI Savage XL Purple Alum HD Rear Hub Carrier
Integy Purple Aluminum Spur Gear Adapter
Dynamite 086 Hi-Speed Polished Inline Exhaust Pipe
Motor Saver 3-Stage Off-Road Air Filter
Integy Purple Aluminum Bulkhead Braces
Integy HD Alum Engine Heatsink Plate
Nova Engine Mount
BP Diffs
HPI Super Heavy Duty Diff Shaft Savage XL HPI86248
3 speed tranny with 3 upgrades (high speed 3rd,SV250's upgrade and steel 44 tooth steel 1st gear) Thanks again SV250
Competition Fluorescent purple antenna tube :wink:
HPI Racing Roll Cage Set Savage XL
Integy Steering Knuckle for Savage XL
Werks Racing Adjustable 4-Shoe Monster Clutch
Purple fuel line
Axial fuel filter
RD Logics purple fuel tank
Custom Painted F650 body
Build cost so far is around $2500-$2800

I know I have left out some stuff but that is most of it.
DSCF0429.jpg

DSCF0421.jpg

DSCF0441.jpg

DSCF0445.jpg

102010B.jpg

102010A1.jpg

DSCF0044.jpg

DSCF0042.jpg

DSCF0060.jpg

DSCF0059.jpg

DSCF0058.jpg

DSCF0056.jpg

DSCF0054.jpg

DSCF0052.jpg

Still a few more things to do to it like 4wheel steering with custom TVPs.

Note: I know some of these parts are not the best but I'm was goin for a certian look. And this truck will NOT BE A SHELF QUEEN..

Holy Geez! that is a long list of hop ups.

Proline F-650 body is one of my top 2 favs.

Told you before its not my style of build.. but I gotta respect it 4 sure! Good stuff man ...

its a great looking truck,it shows that alot of work has gone into it!!

Love the body..... haven't sung that song since yr 2 at school... lol

How long are you making the TVP's, still keeping the same length or stretching her out?
At high speeds the 4 wheel steering might be a pain. Maybe limit the rear steering servo to operate half as much as the front servo..... if you understand
Any plan for a mid tank?

Build looks great by the way :)

Thanks Guys..
They TVPs will prob be same as the XL, I just need custom ones so I can put the rear steering in.
As for controling the rear steering it will be on a seperate chan so there will be no mixing. That way I can control the rear seperate from the front and at high speeds I can lock the rear. Also I like the fact that it will be able to crab walk at high speeds to. Crab Jumps Muahahha:)

I prob will end up with a midtank on it so I can fit the LiPo.

how do you make the 4-wheel steering work? is it servo mixing or a Y-harness and 2 servos? :dunno:

Those are 2 ways to do it but I'm goin with another way.
The rear stearing will be set up on a seperate chan so I can control it seperatly from the front (4 chan radio). So say I want to have the rear pointing in the same way as the front I can (Crab Walk). It will also let me lock the rear for high speed runs and I wont have to worry about roll overs at high speeds. With the custom tvps I will be able to put a GH servo saver in the rear and the turnbuckles wont hit the tvps. The XL length lets me have the room for this. Basicly the rear will be set up the same as the front just on a seperate chan.

I hope this makes sense.

Don't the back wheels turn the opposite way for four wheel steering? Otherwise you will only "crab walk" instead of actually turning the truck.

With this set up I control the rear seperate from the front so I will be able to both crab walk and have them turn the opposite way.

hey tuna. iv just got the same pipe as you. did you need to mod the header to get it to fit on the mill? mine looks like iv got to cut another flat edge to it.?

Depends what mill you are usin bud. On the Picco p3 .28 you don't have to. But on some other mills you might have to grind a bit off. Note don't just grind the opp side you have to grind it more at a angle. Put it on the mill set the angle you want it then take a marker and mark the spot that is hitting your pullstart or rotostart and then break out the grinder bud.

nice one tuna!! just the bit of info i was after! cant wait to get it all set up and running. oh its a lrp .30 (well it will be!) thanks again.

Ya with the custom TVPs I will have more options and If need be I'll make a custom engine plate I will. Ganna do mach up tonight.

I will get to see this truck in person soon, so I will help Tuna get some vids so you guys can see it. Cool that we live within an hour and a half from each other. Pick each others brains a lot, LOL!

Well after the mock up last night i narrowed it down to 2 ways.

1. I can put the servo under the tank but will have to move the tank up and out a bit. (wich I don't really care for)

2. I will add in a plate above the GH servo saver and mount the servo on it so it sits right next to the bulkhead and have a custom linkage set up thats a little hard for me to explane. This way will let you use a midtank mod if you want but involves alot mor fab (mounting plate and a custom tank mount with linkage mount built in).

With both of these ways you will still need custom tvps so the turnbuckles will have room.

I will be goin with #2.

Isn't your piggy back's shocks backwards? Guess it really doesn't matter but like the piggys sticking out the other way looks tuffer

I put them in that way to protect them better.. Yes they do look better the other way but you will end up bending alot of the top bolts not to mention the piggyback will take a beating that way. Norm I wouldnt go with alum shocktowers either but to put them on this way there wasnt anough room for the stock ones to fit.

Also I 99% of the time I run on sand to so its a little more forgiving in bad landings.

did you end up doing the rear steer and if so do you have any pictures i was looking to do this on my xl and was looking for a direction

did you end up doing the rear steer and if so do you have any pictures i was looking to do this on my xl and was looking for a direction

This thread is very old. Also the OP has not been on in over 4 years, he's not likely to answer.

Members online

No members online now.
Back