PROBLEMS with K4.6 engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxximuS

i have been to my hobby shop on a daily basis. i am having problems with tuning the engine. the knowledgeable guy at the hobby shop tuned it and it ran awesome. it was very fast and it would pull wheelies BUT It got way too hot. i tuned down everything but i am having problems with the top speed. i don't mind so much if it doesnt pull wheelies i just want a good top speed. its still getting hot. i have adjusted the low speed screw on both sides. i plan to buy a very nice aftermarket cooling head which is suppposed to reduce the temp. to 40% any suggestions or anyone with the same problem?

Try adjusting you HSN thats the one that regulates how much fuel enters the carb after idle its the first that should be tuned then go to the LSN. It sound like the HSN is to lean. Best thing to do is go back to stock setting on the carb and go from there. If its getting to hot when running back and forth under load its lean, if it gets hot at idle and low speed then the LSN is to lean.

did the lhs tune it , and run it on pavement at their shop?what surface are you trying to run it on? both of the 4.6 engines i had did that too. i could never keep it from overheating in the sand i run it. i even tried the nova cooling head on it.i sealed all air leaks and put in all new o rings in the carb. if i tuned it to run good it would run 250 on pavement than as soon as i made a lap in the sand [or anything other than pavement] the temps would go up to 300 or more.i could richen it way up and it still would run hot but be very boggy due to it being so rich, then on pavement the temps would go below 200. it even did the same thing with a picco .27 on it. what i found was 7-8 port engines will run hotter in the sand than 3-4 port engines. the 8 port engines[like the 4.6 engine] rev too high in low traction surfaces, and are over worked easily. they do fine on the pavement, but overheat in the loose surfaces. all the trucks we have the only ones hat overheated were the 7-8 port engines,the lower port engines never overheat and are actually faster than the 8 port engines.[we spent a few days testing this theory, changing engines and runing diffrent combos] the 4 or less port engines make more low to mid torque and ron a lot cooler in the loose sand.

thats extremely helpful jrstorm
i am running mostly in grass some sand and i jump it off ramps. we have a savage .25 and it seems to do better.
i was planning on buying that nova cooling head hoping that would help.
OH and did you ever solve the problem?

is a .46 engine an 8 port? the truckzilla pack?

the .25 probally did do better as far as temps, its a 4 port engine.as for fixing my problem, yes i did. the stock 4.6 engine failed another main bearing so i stopped using it and replaced it with an sts .28 engine. the sts is a 3 port engine. nova replaced my head with one for the sts. i put it on and my temps stay at 250 nomatter how hard i run it. the sts has 1.5 gallons ran through it now and runs perfect. it tunes very easy and never overheats. it was definatly well worth it.[it cost like 120 dollars] i finally got to run my savage like its designed to be ran. the 4.6 engine [the stock 4.6 ] is a 7 port engine. i don't know about the truckzilla engine, all i do know it its a pain and not worth the money, from what iv heard. the sts is the best engine iv ever had. heres a link.http://racernine.com/sts28.html
heres the ebay store i bought it from.http://stores.ebay.com/PRO-HOBBY
the engine really is a lot more powerful than the stock 4.6 ever was. i really like the engine and am getting several more for our other trucks.

Cooling Head

My Savage SS 4.6 was wanting to run HOT also, so I bought an Nova R/C head and now it runs a lot cooler, say 40% cooler. Not bad for $39.00 plus shipping!

i have been to my hobby shop on a daily basis. i am having problems with tuning the engine. the knowledgeable guy at the hobby shop tuned it and it ran awesome. it was very fast and it would pull wheelies BUT It got way too hot. i tuned down everything but i am having problems with the top speed. i don't mind so much if it doesnt pull wheelies i just want a good top speed. its still getting hot. i have adjusted the low speed screw on both sides. i plan to buy a very nice aftermarket cooling head which is suppposed to reduce the temp. to 40% any suggestions or anyone with the same problem?

type of fuel used?

perhaps the quality of your fuel may need to be looked at ?

I ran out of my usual fuel one day ( baaad baaad thing ) and changed to someone elses as they shared it and had plenty.

point is, i was temp gauging my head at 260 degrees with my fuel, when i finished a tank of his, it was 220 degrees, and it was 5% more nitro content.

was amazed to see what a change in brand of fuel did to temps. now I have tuned to go faster... waaaay faster and only use that other fuel he gave me! and the temps are wickedly in safe oprating range.

something to do with synthetic versus castor oil content.

maybe this would help ? what brand are other people using with a 4.6 that live in your country where you can buy that type of fuel too ?

I'm in Australia so probably don't matter what I get.. some local stuff (AT Racing 25%).

Adam

I got the K4.6 too and it runs hot as well.
I use tornado 25% which is factory approved but I ordered a can of 5 liters 30% without any oil added.
I`m gonna mix in the oil myself and I`m gonna try mixing in 2 % more oil.
I hope the 30% nitro content and the extra oil will keep my engine cooler, if not I`m gonna put a nova cooling head on and some 7075 alloy heatsink engine mounts.

Latest posts

Members online

Back