pre heat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlg1

as most engines are really tight when new, can you pre heat it to aid first time starting and during break in

i myself also put a few drops of after run oil down the glow plug hole before turning it over so the first time isnt a "dry start" it may be overkill but when you rebuild a regular car engine you pump oil through it before starting it for the first time so i think it a good idea!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
ok thanks guys, wasn't sure if i would do any damage. is pre heat ok to about 110 degrees

How exactly do you pre heat an engine? and i was told to put after run oil after every exit...is this ok?

doesnt matter HOW you pre-heat, just DO IT !!!!!!!! I use a propane torch, up to 150 - 180 . Less stress on con rod and piston. accessorize

When using a torch, be very careful not to hit the manifold spring with the flame, it will lose it's temper and stretch out before your eyes.

a hair dryer works ok but may take a bit to heat it up...

that's all I ever used

hair dryer for about 4-5 min.

You can damage the plastic and rubber parts on your mill very easily with anything hotter...........

imo

Is preheating really that important?

With a new mill it is.
Less stress on the sleeve and piston. Preheating a mill is like the thing you do before the magic happens :) (if you know what i mean) and without preheating it's just not the same. You will also notice the engine will start a lot easier when preheated.

With a new mill it is.
Less stress on the sleeve and piston. Preheating a mill is like the thing you do before the magic happens :) (if you know what i mean) and without preheating it's just not the same. You will also notice the engine will start a lot easier when preheated.

OK thanks.. Mine is way old.

Members online

No members online now.
Back