Powering your new RC.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AoD

Alright, there is some confusion of the best ways to power your servos, receivers, and transmitters. So in this small guide, I'll state the best, and cheapest ways to power your rig.

First, your transmitter is the backbone of control. It's one of the most important parts to having your RC work. The normal transmitter or "radio" uses 8 Alkaline AA size batteries. There's many options when it comes to batteries for your radio, and this can actually get the best of you. This is my method of keeping the radio with the best batteries. I buy a 48 pack of energizer normal alkaline AA's every time I get close to running out. But, if I do happen to run out, I always have a backup set of 8 rechargable NiMH batteries that can be charged in 15 minutes.

Here's the differences I've seen. The NiMH only put out 1.2v compared to a normal alkaline battery running at 1.5v. The alkaline batteries both seem to have a longer lifespan, and range of the normal AM or FM radio seems to be higher with the alkaline batteries. Now, the range difference hasn't been very big, but it was noticable by me. If you want to save money on batteries, getting yourself a good set of NiMH batteries with a nice charger is a good idea. If you like having that peak range, then stick with the alkaline batteries.

Now, the second most important thing is powering your receiver and servos. Believe it or not, many people use the AA batteries to power their servo's. These batteries are weak when compared to alternatives. Four alkaline AA's might be rated for 6v, but after a few runs, the batteries will be struggling to push 5v. I personally don't recommend even trying rechargable AA's in your RC. These will only provide 4.4v and that's just low compared to the alternatives.

Don't fuss though, there is a good alternative that will have you both saving money on batteries, and having that full 6v of power going to your servos. These units are called hump packs. They come in a wide array of ratings, but they all serve the same purpose. Here is a link to a very popular one on Tower hobbies.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNMD7&P=ML

These provide both a rechargable battery set, and the most power you need for your servos and receiver. The rating are very easy to understand. That example was 1600mAh. The higher the mAh rating, the longer the pack will last on a charge. Make sure before buying a hump pack, that it will fit into your battery box, or mount.

Using the right alternatives can save you money, and be more beneficial to you in the long run. Using the right batteries for the right application is key, and it can cause less frustration over time.

Good info AoD.

Have you tried a 7.4v LiPo hump yet? I am thinking about it once my current hump dies. Not sure how safe they are for bashing though.

Any thoughts?

Good info AoD.

Have you tried a 7.4v LiPo hump yet? I am thinking about it once my current hump dies. Not sure how safe they are for bashing though.

Any thoughts?

Well, I don't really need a 7.4 volt LiPo. Most servos and receivers run at 6v and the NiMH hump packs are 6v. So, I'll stick with them. LiPo (lithium Polymer) has a longer lifespan, but being 7.4v you have to run a voltage regulator to run normal servos and receivers.

One of these days I might go ahead and try a LiPo pack, but for now, I'll stick with a NiMH pack, since they are easy to use and charge. :)

That means one thing.

Upgrade servos and receiver to 7.2v capable items.

It's a win-win.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back